Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Putrajaya announces more relief, calls for aggressive solution to prevent floods

Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob says authorities must work to end the annual floods in Sri Muda, Shah Alam.

Other News

Putrajaya has announced several measures to help the tens of thousands affected by the recent floods, including instructions for the relevant authorities to “aggressively” work for a solution to the annual problem in a Shah Alam neighbourhood where rising waters left a trail of destruction last weekend.

Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob also announced several urgent financial measures for victims and businesses affected by the floods, as well as a directive giving the National Security Council the power to manage relief efforts with the National Disaster Management Agency (Nadma) as its secretariat.

“The meeting also agreed that the issue of floods in Taman Sri Muda, Shah Alam, must be resolved urgently. In this regard, I have directed all agencies to get working more aggressively to help flood victims there,” Ismail said in statement after chairing a special meeting to discuss the crisis.

Taman Sri Muda, a dense neighbourhood in Shah Alam, was among the areas worst affected by the floods which ravaged large parts of Selangor following days of continuous heavy rain.

Ismail said a total of 41 boats and 16 lorries with more than 320 rescue personnel had been mobilised in Taman Sri Muda alone.

Apart from the RM100 million from the government, he said, giant government-linked companies have also pledged more than RM50 million to help cushion the financial impact of the floods.

These include national oil firm Petronas, Khazanah Nasional, Sime Darby, CIMB, Celcom, Telekom Malaysia and the Employees’ Provident Fund.

Ismail said yesterday that the government would provide RM100 million in post-flood allocations for the repair of homes and infrastructure damaged by the unprecedented torrents which hit areas in a number of states.

He said Putrajaya would also contribute RM1,000 for each household affected by the floods.

As of this morning, more than 61,000 people had been evacuated to relief centres in Selangor and Pahang alone.

Klang had the highest number of evacuees in Selangor at nearly 19,000.

The floods also caused the closure of several stretches along major highways, while the water level of a number of rivers remains at the danger level.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles