Monday, May 23, 2022

Number of flood evacuees drops in 5 states

Selangor and Terengganu meanwhile show no change in situation.

Other News

The number of flood victims seeking shelter at relief centres (PPS) in Johor, Pahang, Negeri Sembilan, Melaka and Sabah declined this morning, while in Selangor and Terengganu the situation remained unchanged.

In Johor, the number of flood victims in seven affected districts dropped to 5,399 people from 1,430 families as of 8am, compared to 5,923 people from 1,585 families last night.

Johor health and environment committee chairman R Vidyananthan said this followed the closure of two PPS in Segamat, at SK Tenang and Dewan Serbaguna MDL Kampung Paya Merah.

However, he said one more PPS was activated at Kompleks JKKK Kampung Jawa, Muar, bringing the total number of PPS opened in the state to 81.

“Segamat had the highest number of evacuees with 3,804 people, followed by Tangkak (598), Mersing (470), Muar (161), Kota Tinggi (131), Kluang (124) and Batu Pahat (111),” he said in a statement.

Three rivers remain at the danger level, namely Sungai Muar in Kampung Awat and Buloh Kasap in Segamat and Sungai Kesang in Kampung Seri Maamor near Tangkak.

In Pahang, the state disaster management committee secretariat reported that a total of 1,846 flood victims were still at 32 PPS this morning, in the districts of Raub, Jerantut, Temerloh, Bera, Maran, Kuantan, Pekan and Rompin.

A total of 21 roads had been closed due to the floods, including Jalan Pekan Sehari Kampung Awah in Maran, Jalan Triang 1 (Bera), Jalan Air Hitam (Kuantan), Jalan Kota Gelanggi (Jerantut), Jalan Belimbing-Seri Makmur (Pekan) and Jalan Ibam-Kampung Aur (Rompin).

The Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID) meanwhile said that water levels at three rivers had exceeded the danger level – Sungai Bera and Sungai Serting in Bera and Sungai Pahang in Kuala Sungai Chini, Pekan.

In Negeri Sembilan, the Social Welfare Department’s InfoBencana application showed that the number of flood victims at relief centres fell to 1,488 individuals from 396 families this morning, compared to 1,628 individuals from 448 families last night,

In Melaka, the number of flood victims decreased to 1,256 people from 324 families as of 8am, compared to 1,771 people from 472 families last night.

State Malaysian Civil Defence Force director Cuthbert John Martin Quadra said in a statement that the victims were from 14 areas in Alor Gajah, nine in Melaka Tengah and 14 others in Jasin.

In Sabah, the number of evacuees dropped to 3,385 people from 1,329 families this morning from 3,365 people from 1,331 families last night.

The state disaster management secretariat said the flood victims were housed at 30 PPS in six districts in the northern part and east coast of the state.

Kota Marudu had the most evacuees with 2,668 people from 1,120 families at 14 PPS, followed by Pitas (319 people, 120 families, four PPS), Telupid (216 people, 49 families, seven PPS), Sandakan (45 people, seven families, one PPS), Beluran (38 people, 10 families, one PPS), and Paitan (99 people, 23 families, three PPS).

Floodwaters have begun to recede in some areas in Kota Marudu and the weather is favourable.

In Selangor, the InfoBencana application showed that the number of evacuees remained unchanged at 40 people in the Kuala Langat district, placed at Dewan Orang Ramai Kampung Kelanang (25 people) and Balai Raya Majlis Pengurusan Komuniti Kampung Banting (15 people).

In Terengganu, the number of evacuees remained at 19 people from five families at two centres in Kemaman this morning.

Nine people from three families were being housed at SK Lembah Jabor while 10 people from two families were placed at SMK Geliga.

The DID meanwhile reported that only Sungai Nerus in Kampung Langkap, Setiu was still above the danger level this morning.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles