Saturday, January 22, 2022

Over 14,000 evacuated due to floods

Pahang has recorded the highest number of evacuees with over 5,100 placed at relief centres as of this morning.

Other News

Over 14,000 flood victims are seeking shelter at relief centres, with Pahang recording the highest number of evacuees at 5,189 this morning.

Based on information released by the Social Welfare Department (JKM), seven districts in Pahang – Raub, Lipis, Bentong, Jerantut, Maran, Kuantan and Pekan – have been hit by floods and 116 relief centres were operating as at 9am today.

Roads involving KM 113.4, KM84.6, KM198.7 and KM74.4 along the East Coast Expressway Phase 1 (LPT1) have been closed in both directions after being submerged, while only heavy vehicles are allowed through KM75.1.

The highway concessionaire, Anih Bhd said the Kuala Lumpur-bound KM66.4 to KM66.1 stretch is also still closed for clean-up operations. Following a landslide, KM67.8 and KM69.5 have also been closed to all vehicles heading to the federal capital.

The continuous rain has also caused readings at 19 river stations in Pahang to exceed the danger level, including Sungai Jelai in Lipis, Sungai Tembeling (Jerantut), Sungai Bentong (Bentong), Sungai Semantan (Temerloh), Sungai Pahang (Temerloh) and Sungai Lembing and Sungai Belat in Kuantan.

According to a Malaysian Meteorological Department forecast, danger-level weather with continuous heavy rain will occur in Cameron Highlands, Lipis, Raub, Jerantut, Bentong and Kuantan today, while bad weather with continuous heavy rain is expected in Temerloh, Maran and Pekan.

In Selangor, the state contingent police headquarters said several roads were closed to vehicles in some areas following floods.

The roads include those in areas under the jurisdiction of the Petaling Jaya, North Klang, Sungai Buloh, Subang Jaya, Kuala Langat, Sepang, and Shah Alam district police headquarters.

Meanwhile, according to the JKM portal, 4,596 people had been evacuated and 55 relief centres opened as at 7am today.

In Kelantan, the number of flood victims continued to increase to 3,652 people from 826 families as at 8am today, housed at 44 relief centres.

Kelantan Civil Defence Force (APM) disaster management and operation officer Mohd Hanif Omar said 21 relief centres were opened in Kuala Krai, 15 in Gua Musang, four in Jeli and two each in Tanah Merah and Pasir Mas.

The official eBanjir Kelantan portal reported that five major rivers in Kelantan are at dangerous levels: Sungai Kelantan at Tangga Krai, Kuala Krai which recorded a reading of 27.06m, Sungai Kelantan at Guillemard Bridge (16.94m), Sungai Lebir at Tualang (36.59m), Sungai Golok in Jenob, Tanah Merah (24.01m) and Sungai Golok in Rantau Panjang, Pasir Mas (10.04m).

In Terengganu, the number of flood victims rose slightly to 261 people from 88 families as at 9am today.

The Terengganu state disaster management committee secretariat in a statement said that Dungun is the only district currently hit by floods with three relief centres in operation.

In Melaka, the number of flood victims in the state increased to 563 people from 112 families in the districts of Alor Gajah and Melaka Tengah.

In Negeri Sembilan, the Seremban District Public Works Department said the route to Jalan Seremban-Simpang Pertang connecting Jalan Pantai and Jeram Toi, Jelebu was temporarily closed to road users following a landslide in the area last night.

Negeri Sembilan Civil Defence Force director Mohd Syukri Madnor said flood victims in the state continued to increase to 413 people from 96 families with 10 relief centres operating at at 8am today.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles