- Advertisement -

Customs, immigration operations under control, says PM

Anwar Ibrahim says some weaknesses will be investigated and improvements made.

2 minute read
Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim during a surprise visit at KLIA in Sepang, July 2. Photo: Facebook
Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim during a surprise visit at KLIA in Sepang, July 2. Photo: Facebook

The operation of the customs department and the immigration department at KLIA is under control, Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim said after making an unannounced visit to the main gateway of the country yesterday.

In a visit to see for himself the state of the departments following a recent incident involving a minister at KLIA, Anwar said he found several problems in the two departments and that an investigation for improvement with appropriate action would follow.      

"There are some customs weaknesses which need to be remedied. Generally, the majority of the services by immigration employees and personnel are proceeding smoothly. 

"There are some problems. We will investigate to improve, and appropriate action will be taken if there are flaws,” he said.

Unaccompanied by ministers or top leaders, Anwar spent 30 minutes at KLIA before attending a ceremony to welcome the return of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah and Raja Permaisuri Agong Tunku Azizah Aminah Maimunah Iskandariah after performing their pilgrimage at Bunga Raya Complex.

Anwar said he would study the measures for improvement that have been and should be taken.
"So far, I have seen that the response of immigration is very good and positive. What we have to identify are some small groups that are still unable to bring about change including facing several charges," he said.

Anwar said initial discussions on the departments would be held at the Cabinet meeting this Wednesday.

A news portal on June 29 reported a commotion at KLIA involving a minister said to be trying to "rescue" a Chinese national woman who was denied entry into the country.

The incident also went viral on social media after the minister was said to have entered the arrival hall without a security pass.