The health ministry says a two-year-old girl was believed to have suffered acute nicotine poisoning in Bera, Pahang, on May 30.
According to a statement, on the day of the incident, the child's grandfather found her coughing, vomiting and having difficulty breathing. A disposable e-cigarette or vape device was found on the floor near her.
"The girl is suspected to have inhaled or swallowed the liquid from the disposable e-cigarette device. She was sent to Hospital Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah, Temerloh, in Pahang as she needed respiratory assistance at the children's ICU.
"The child was reported to have had two seizures while undergoing medical treatment. She is now stable and breathing without the aid of a ventilator. She being monitored closely in the hospital," the statement said.
"The results of a urine test showed the presence of a high level of nicotine. The e-cigarette device has been sent to the laboratory for further testing.
"Nicotine poisoning due to the use of tobacco or e-cigarette liquid can cause acute effects such as heart palpitations, vomiting and seizures," it added.