Former prime minister Najib Razak has denied allegations that he will be freed immediately by way of a royal pardon if Barisan Nasional wins the 15th general election (GE15).
In a press statement issued by Shafee & Co today, the law firm said its client, Najib, expressed deep disappointment that his name was still being used as baseless political propaganda despite his imprisonment.
"Our client wishes to categorically deny these allegations. Our client has consistently maintained since the commencement of his trials in 2018 that he wishes to be acquitted through the judicial process of the courts because he wants to secure not only his liberty, but also his legacy and integrity.
"He is confident that his best chance of being released from prison is via the upcoming review application filed pursuant to Rule 137 of the Rules of the Federal Court 1995.
"Najib's application for review is primarily on the basis that the process and decisions made by the Federal Court at his appeal amount to a deprivation of his constitutional right to a fair hearing as his counsel was not provided the opportunity to sufficiently prepare himself for the appeal, resulting in no submissions or arguments heard in his defence – essentially leaving our client without an effective voice in court," said the firm.
According to the firm, if the application for review was in Najib's favour, the former prime minister would seek a re-trial under a fair and just process to prove his innocence, where he would be at liberty to present his case inclusive of the application to introduce facts and information that were previously not available to the defence at trial.
Najib, 69, began serving a 12-year jail sentence at Kajang Prison after the Federal Court on Aug 23 upheld his conviction, jail term and RM210 million fine.
He had been found guilty of misappropriating SRC International funds amounting to RM42 million.