Kedah Menteri Besar Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor yesterday apologised to all residents affected by the flooding and water surge that occurred at Kupang in Baling on July 4.
He said the apology was made on humanitarian grounds and the sense of duty he bore as the head of government in relation to the tragedy that killed three, including a pregnant woman.
He said the apology was also on behalf of the current and previous state administrations, in the event that mistakes had been made that could have indirectly caused the tragedy.
"As a person, on compassionate reasons... for the present state government, I apologise to all affected residents.
"No one intended to bring such a tragedy onto anyone but the effects were beyond prediction... it’s no use being stubborn when people have already been hit by a disaster, although to us, we have made our best decision," he said at a press conference after attending a flood aid presentation at the Baling district office for 17 victims who lost their homes in the floods.
The 17 victims received RM3,000 each for rental and utilities for six months.
Sanusi said the apology did not mean he was admitting that all of the blame rests on the current state government, but was made out of a sense of responsibility towards the people.
"It doesn’t mean I admit to it entirely, no one asked for this to happen including the tragedy in Gunung Jerai, Yan last year... on behalf of the state government, we apologise because as the government, we should protect our citizens.
"We can’t predict such a thing would happen... I think whoever is wrong, just as a person, no matter how high your position and standing, we need to be humble and realise our weaknesses. We apologise for being unable to protect the people fully," he said.