Kedah Menteri Besar Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor today said that the Rohingya detainees who escaped from the Sungai Bakap immigration detention depot on April 20 are not a threat to local residents.
He added that the escapees had no clear idea of what to do next and were ignorant of the situation in the country.
“I understand that they had been detained in the depot for two years in a crowded place. I am not sure about what happened in the depot.
“I believe the Rohingya who are still on the run are not a threat. They just want to survive. Criminals such as drug dealers are the real threat,” he told Bernama.
Kedah police chief Wan Hassan Wan Ahmad had previously warned the public against protecting the escapees, saying this would be a violation of the law.
“I would also like to remind the public to be careful as, in desperation, the detainees can be dangerous and may resort to committing crimes,” he said.
In the 4.30am incident on Wednesday, 528 Rohingya detainees escaped from the depot following a riot. Six of them died after being hit by vehicles on the North-South Expressway.
As of 6am today, 96 detainees had yet to be found.