Sunday, July 3, 2022

Over 500 Rohingya flee Penang immigration depot

Six were killed on a highway after they escaped, including two children.

Other News

The immigration department today said that over 500 Rohingya migrants had fled a temporary holding depot in Sungai Bakap, Penang, early this morning.

Immigration director-general Khairul Dzaimee Daud said the 528 Rohingya fled at 4.30am after breaking through the door and grill at the block.

As of 10am, 362 had been recaptured while joint efforts with the police and Rela are ongoing to track down the rest.

“The officers on duty have activated the SOPs by contacting the police and related agencies for assistance,” Khairul said in a statement.

Meanwhile, Penang police chief Mohamad Shuhaily Mohamad Zain said six of the detainees were killed as they sought to cross a highway after escaping.

Those killed were two adult men, two adult women, one girl and one boy, he said.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles