Friday, January 21, 2022

No plans to make booster jab mandatory, deputy health minister says

Aaron Ago Dagang says the government nonetheless recommends that vaccine recipients take their booster shots especially given the emergence of Omicron.

Other News

The government does not intend to make booster jabs a mandatory condition for the complete dosage of Covid-19 vaccines for now, the Dewan Rakyat was told today.

Deputy Health Minister II Aaron Ago Dagang said as with the first and second doses, taking the booster shot was a voluntary decision.

“Although the percentage in uptake of booster dose is relatively slow, which is only 10.83% so far, we cannot make the booster shots mandatory.

“But with the emergence of the Omicron variant which is of concern, we recommend that the booster dose be taken,” he said during the question-and-answer session.

He was replying to a supplementary question from Steven Choong Shiau Yoon (independent-Tebrau) on whether the health ministry would make the booster dose a condition for fully vaccinated status.

There were 30 to 40% of fully vaccinated recipients who refuse to take the booster dose, he added.

Aaron said the health ministry will continue to implement measures and campaigns to ensure that fully vaccinated recipients receive the booster dose.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles