A total of 149 Covid-19 cases were detected as a result of screenings at air and sea entry points to Langkawi since the domestic tourism bubble pilot project began on Sept 16.
Health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the total was recorded as of noon yesterday involving the screening of 40,458 people, of whom 34,038 were screened at seven airport entry points and 6,420 others at the entry points of ferry services in Kuala Perlis and Kuala Kedah.
“A total of 36,842 people underwent screening using the RTK Antigen test and, of the total, 149 positive cases were detected and 186 other individuals were close contacts of the 149 cases.
“They have been isolated and put under home surveillance order (HSO),” he said in a statement.
He said 641 people had undergone the RT-PCR self-test before leaving for Langkawi with all results coming back negative, while 2,975 children aged below six did not undergo any Covid-19 tests and were allowed to be with their respective families.
On the Dah Teluk Nibung cluster, which was reported in Langkawi on Oct 1, Noor Hisham said a total of 249 people had been screened as of yesterday, with 59 testing positive for Covid-19, 187 returning negative and three more still awaiting their results.
“This cluster has been categorised as workplace-linked involving locals, namely workers and close contact of family members.
“Initial investigations have found that it began as a community infection before spreading to workplaces due to non-compliance with SOPs at work places and hostels,” he said, adding that all close contacts had been identified, screened and placed under HSO for 10 days.
Adding that the infection was under control so far, he said all cases in this cluster were in Category One and Two only, with all of the workers fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
Noor Hisham said the health ministry, Kedah health department and Langkawi district health office would continue to monitor the situation.