Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Shift to Phase 3 postponed for Sarawak’s southern zone

Kuching, Bau, Lundu, Samarahan, Simunjan, Asajaya, Serian and Tebedu will remain in Phase Two until Covid-19 cases there show a declining trend.

Other News

Sarawak’s southern zone covering Kuching, Bau, Lundu, Samarahan, Simunjan, Asajaya, Serian and Tebedu will not be moving to Phase Three of the National Recovery Plan (NRP) today as scheduled.

The state disaster management committee (JPBN) in a statement said that the move was postponed until Covid-19 cases in the zone show a declining trend.

“This means that only the northern zone (Miri, Limbang, Bintulu), central zone (Sibu, Mukah, Kapit) and western zone (Sarikei, Betong, Sri Aman) will move to Phase Three of NRP beginning Aug 4.”

Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin had said that Perlis, Sarawak and Labuan would be moving to Phase Three of the NRP.

The decision on Sarawak’s southern zone was also agreed upon by JPBN after receiving advice from medical experts and based on the existing SOPs.

Yesterday, Sarawak recorded 494 Covid-19 cases, bringing the cumulative number to 78,211, and two more deaths from the viral infection, bringing the total number so far to 464.

JPBN also announced three new clusters including the Pasar Stutong 2 cluster (Kuching), detected at a market in Jalan Stutong, with 51 individuals out of 140 screened found to be positive for Covid-19.

The Mega Suai cluster in Subis was detected at an oil palm plantation placed under enhanced movement control order (EMCO) where 24 out of 351 people screened were found to be positive.

The Jalan Kemena Industry Estate 38 cluster in Bintulu meanwhile involved the workers’ quarters of a plywood factory at the Kemena Industrial Area, also placed under EMCO. Seventeen individuals out of 85 screened were found to be positive for Covid-19.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles