Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Khairy Jamaluddin today said that notifications for appointments under the second phase of the national vaccination programme will be sent out beginning today through the MySejahtera app, phone calls and text messages.
Speaking at a press conference, he said recipients would be given the option to agree to the appointment date, following which attendance would be compulsory.
“Attendance is compulsory as we have made detailed plans for the delivery of vaccines to each vaccination centre.
“We hope they will come if they agree to the date, otherwise the vaccine will be wasted as it cannot be put back in the freezer once it has been taken out,” he said.
He said recipients would be notified 14 days before the date of their appointment with two reminders sent three days and a day before the date through phone calls and text messages.
He added that employers might be asked to give their employees leave in order to receive their jabs.
“Family members might also be allowed to travel interstate to bring their dependents to the appointments,” he said, adding however that both suggestions would need the approval of the human resources ministry and National Security Council.
Eight states – Kedah, Melaka, Pahang, Penang, Sabah, Sarawak, Terengganu and Labuan – will begin Phase Two of the vaccination programme on April 19, followed by the rest of the states.
Speaking today, Khairy said the vaccination rate remains on target.
“We have not received the full bulk of our deliveries, and I made this very clear from the start of announcing our procurement, that it will be coming throughout this year.
“I think there is a perception that our vaccination rate is slow. But our vaccination rate is based on the delivery schedule given by the manufacturer,” he said.
He added that much of Malaysia’s vaccine supply will only start arriving in July.
“That is when we will see a significant increase in the number of doses that are going to be delivered from Pfizer as well as from other manufacturers.”
A total of 514,036 recipients have received their first jab so far, with 287,737 having completed both doses.