Monday, August 2, 2021

Probe into SUKE construction site accident to take a month

The Department of Occupational Safety and Health says further legal action will be taken based on the results of the probe.

Other News

The investigation into the case of a launching gantry which fell at the Sungai Besi-Ulu Kelang Elevated Expressway (SUKE) construction site near Puncak Banyan, Persiaran Alam Damai, Cheras, on Monday, is expected to be completed within a month.

The Department of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) said the probe involved observation and scrutiny at the scene, taking witness statements and conducting forensic engineering analysis.

“Further legal action will be taken based on the results of the detailed investigation,” DOSH said in a statement today.

It said actions that can be taken include prosecution under the provisions of Sections 15 and 17 of the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1994, which state that it is the employer’s duty to ensure the safety, health and welfare of employees while working, and the safety and health of persons other than employees, affected by work activities.

The maximum penalty for an offence under both sections is a maximum fine of RM50,000, two years imprisonment, or both, upon conviction.

DOSH said the stop-work notice issued over the incident would only be revoked after the employer takes corrective action and implements comprehensive control measures to prevent accidents.

The accident that occurred early Monday resulted in the deaths of three construction project workers, while a Perodua Bezza driver was seriously injured as a result of his car being hit by the structure while passing through the area.

DOSH said last year it conducted 14,786 occupational safety and health inspections in the construction sector, and that 5,117 notices, 404 compound actions and 73 prosecutions were undertaken with penalties totalling around RM1.7 million.

“DOSH takes every workplace accident seriously, whether it involves employees or the public,” the statement said.

DOSH said employers are also responsible for identifying hazards at the workplace, making risk assessments and taking effective risk control measures before employees carry out work activities to ensure employee safety and prevent health risks and occupational accidents or diseases.

“DOSH will continue field monitoring, including by using the latest technology applications, and will not hesitate to take stern action against any party, including developers and contractors who are found to be neglecting occupational safety and health aspects,” it added.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles