The body of a Chinese worker who died at the construction site of the Sungai Besi-Ulu Kelang Elevated Expressway (SUKE) on Monday was recovered early this morning after two days of efforts by the fire and rescue department.
Department chief Nordin Pauzi said efforts began again at 2.15am, with the body recovered half an hour later.
“Recovery efforts were hampered by the unstable condition of the beam,” he said in a statement.
“It was only after the contractor stabilised the beam that we had the space to extract the body.”
He added that various factors had been taken into consideration as well, chief of which was the safety of the rescue team.
The body which was received by the police at 4am was sent to Hospital Canselor Tuanku Muhriz in Kuala Lumpur for post-mortem.
The worker, one of three who died in the incident, was pinned between a launching gantry and a beam after a crane collapsed at the construction site near Alam Damai.
A driver was also injured when the crane crashed above his car.