Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Najib expected to file for contempt against ex-AG Thomas, says lawyer

Shafee Abdullah says the defamation suit is 'definite' and the contempt application is '98% complete'.

Other News

Najib Razak is expected to file contempt action against former attorney-general Tommy Thomas over the latter’s allegations in his recently published book, “My Story: Justice in the Wilderness”, implicating the former prime minister in the murder of Mongolian citizen Altantuya Shaariibuu.

Najib’s lead counsel Muhammad Shafee Abdullah told reporters that a contempt application would most probably be filed this week.

“My client, Najib, has not been implicated at all throughout the (Altantuya) case which was decided upon up to the Federal Court level. His (Thomas’) words are seen as scandalising the court.

“The defamation suit is definite, the contempt application is 98% complete, and we are filing it this week. We have to give him (Thomas) a show-cause first,” he told the press after the 1MDB trial at the Kuala Lumpur High Court today.

On Feb 2, Najib, in a letter of demand (LOD) sent through his solicitor, Messrs Shafee & Co, demanded an apology and RM10 million in damages from Thomas over allegations against him in the book.

The letter stated that by clear inference and innuendo, Thomas had conveyed the message that he, as the then attorney-general and public prosecutor, had been satisfied with the truthfulness of the allegations by two convicted persons that Najib was involved in directing them to murder Altantuya.

Thomas, in a response to the LOD on Feb 5, denied defaming Najib.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles