Monday, June 21, 2021

No new interstate clusters since Feb 1, says health minister

He says the health ministry advocates the continuance of the interstate travel ban.

Other News

No new clusters linked to interstate travel were recorded from Feb 1 until yesterday as a result of the second movement control order (MCO 2.0), says Health Minister Dr Adham Baba.

From Dec 16 to Jan 30, he said the health ministry had detected 31 interstate clusters involving a total of 4,376 positive Covid-19 cases.

These cases occurred in eight states: Pahang, Terengganu, Kelantan, Kedah, Perak, Negeri Sembilan, Sarawak and the federal territory of Labuan, he said.

Adham said the cases of infection were from six initial states, namely Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, Penang, Johor, Melaka and Sabah.

“This is a very good development as it reflects the effectiveness of stricter enforcement that has been implemented,” he told a press conference in Putrajaya today.

“This development also demonstrates an increase in awareness among all parties and the effectiveness of complying with the cross-border restrictions, as well as the people’s adherence to the new normal.”

Adham said the Bera and Lipis districts in Pahang had been green zones for the past two days.

“Therefore, my advice to the residents of Lipis and Bera is that they can implement the District Risk Reduction Programme in order to maintain the green zone status and prevent new Covid-19 infections.

“With no interstate clusters and no new cases, we expect about seven or eight more districts will turn to green soon,” he said.

With 10 days left before the end of MCO 2.0, Adham said the ministry urged that the interstate ban be maintained.

“We have seen signs that cases have decreased even though there are still a lot of field tests. The country’s infectivity rate (RO) is now below 1,” he said.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles