Sunday, February 28, 2021

Nora Anne died by misadventure, coroner rules

Coroner Maimoonah Aid rules no one was involved in the death of the French-Irish teenager.

Other News

Kes baru Covid-19 kekal lebih 2,000, 10 lagi kematian direkodkan

3,320 pesakit pulih dan dibenarkan pulang, menjadikan jumlah keseluruhan angka sembuh 270,166 kes.

New cases stay above 2,000 as 10 more deaths reported

190 in the ICU, 99 in need of respiratory assistance.

Hamid Bador jelaskan mengenai kompuan RM10,000

Katanya ramai yang salah faham dan bimbang dengan jumlah kompaun sehingga RM10,000.

RM10,000 fine not for all SOP offences, top cop explains

Abdul Hamid Bador says the RM10,000 compound will not be issued for offences such as failure to wear face masks.

Radzi, 4 guru terima suntikan vaksin Covid-19

Radzi menyeru rakyat Malaysia termasuk lebih 500,000 guru di seluruh negara untuk segera mendaftarkan diri.

A French-Irish teenager with learning difficulties died by “misadventure” after disappearing in the Seremban jungle on a family holiday and there was no sign she was murdered or sexually assaulted, a coroner ruled Monday.

The body of Nora Quoirin, 15, was discovered unclothed after a hunt through the rainforest following her disappearance from a resort outside Kuala Lumpur in 2019.

Police insisted there was no foul play and an autopsy found that she probably starved and died of internal bleeding after days in the jungle.

But her parents think she was abducted, saying the teen would never have climbed out of the window of the chalet where they were staying in the dead of night, as police believe.

However, following an inquest in Malaysia, coroner Maimoonah Aid said there was no sign the teen had been murdered or sexually assaulted, and ruled she died by “misadventure”.

“After hearing all the relevant evidence, I rule that there was no one involved in the death of Nora Anne,” she told a court in Seremban.

“It is more probable than not that she died by misadventure.”

The teen likely left the family accommodation “on her own and subsequently got lost in the abandoned palm oil plantation”, she said.

The inquest, which ran from late August to December, heard from over 40 witnesses and was streamed online due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Massive search

During proceedings, police reiterated their view the teen had wandered off alone from the Dusun resort in August 2019, a day after checking in for a holiday with her London-based family.

They defended their approach, insisting a thorough search was conducted.

But her parents, who testified via video-link from Britain, painted a different picture, strongly criticising authorities for their response to their daughter’s disappearance.

Her mother Meabh said police were slow to launch a full-scale search and did not take her concerns about potential criminal involvement seriously.

Her father Sebastien also said he heard mysterious “muffled noises” coming from the chalet the night of the schoolgirl’s disappearance, fuelling the family’s belief she was snatched.

The search lasted 10 days and expanded to include hundreds of rescuers, helicopters and sniffer dogs, before the teen’s body was found in a ravine not far from the resort.

The five-hectare (12-acre) site is next to a patch of thick jungle and in the foothills of a mountain range.

The teen had a condition known as holoprosencephaly, where the brain fails to develop normally. She had limited verbal communication and could only write a few words.

She attended a school for young people with learning difficulties.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

Nora Anne’s family to file for revision of misadventure ruling

The family's lawyer says the application for revision will be filed at the Seremban High Court as soon as possible.

PKP di Seremban, Port Dickson bermula esok

PKP selama 14 hari itu dilaksanakan berikutan peningkatan mendadak kes positif Covid-19 di kawasan itu.

Kematian Nora Anne disebabkan nahas, kata koroner

Koroner mendapati tiada siapa yang terlibat dalam kematiannya.

344 Nigerian schoolboys released after mass kidnapping

It remains unclear if all the abducted schoolboys have been released, amid ongoing uncertainty over the number taken in the first place.

Nora Anne’s mum criticises police at inquest

Meabh Quoirin says she became worried the police were not taking the family's concerns about criminal involvement in the case seriously.