Thursday, June 17, 2021

Cops have reopened probe into death of Teoh Beng Hock, says home ministry

Home ministry says the police were directed to continue with the probe after submitting their earlier investigation papers to the AGC.

Other News

The police have reopened investigations into the death of Teoh Beng Hock, who was found dead on July 16 2009, under Section 342 of the Penal Code (Wrongful Confinement).

The home ministry in a written reply on the Parliament website said the earlier investigation papers were referred to the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) on Feb 24 and the police were told to continue with the investigations.

“The police were directed to submit the papers to the AGC when the investigations are completed.

“Police have recorded statements from 13 witnesses and investigations are ongoing,” said the ministry in response to Lim Lip Eng (PH-Kepong) who wanted to know ​​the latest regarding the case, besides the number of witnesses whose statements have been recorded to facilitate investigations into Teoh’s death.

Teoh was found dead on the fifth floor of the Plaza Masalam building in Shah Alam after being interviewed by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission at its office on the 14th floor of the same building.

Teoh was then political secretary to Local Government, New Village Development and Legalising of Factories Committee chairman Ean Yong Hian Wah, who was also Seri Kembangan state assemblyman.

On Nov 18 last year, the police set up a special investigation team involving the Selangor and Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Departments to reinvestigate Teoh’s death following a directive from the AGC on July 16, 2019. The case was previously classified as sudden death.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles