Sunday, March 7, 2021

Trouble recruiting election workers among reasons for scrapping Batu Sapi polls

Other News

Kerjasama Bersatu-Umno di Sabah wujudkan kestabilan politik

Keputusan PRN Sabah tahun lepas menunjukkan hasrat rakyat di Sabah untuk melihat satu bentuk perpaduan erat antara parti dalam GRS.

Pintu Kaabah dibuka untuk Muhyiddin

Perdana menteri selesai menunaikan ibadah umrah.

BN rejects Ahmad Maslan as sec-gen in another blow to Zahid

This is the second time Zahid's choice of Barisan Nasional secretary-general has not gone down well with coalition leaders.

BN tolak Ahmad Maslan sebagai setiausaha agung, satu lagi tamparan pada Zahid

Cengkaman Umno terhadap Barisan Nasional kini dilihat semakin lemah.

Twitter founder’s auction of first tweet draws US$2 million bid

Buying a tweet means purchasing 'a digital certificate of the tweet, unique because it has been signed and verified by the creator'.

Difficulty in recruiting election workers is one of five reasons Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin said were behind the Cabinet’s recommendation to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong to declare a state of emergency in Batu Sapi to prevent a by-election there.

Muhyiddin said as of Nov 6, the Election Commission had only managed to recruit 143 people to carry out election-related work in Batu Sapi, where a by-election had been scheduled on Dec 5.

“The risk of infection among election workers cannot be taken lightly as they deal directly with voters and are exposed to Covid-19,” Muhyiddin said in a special address to explain the reasons behind the emergency declaration in Batu Sapi.

Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah today invoked his powers under Article 150 of the Federal Constitution to declare an emergency in Batu Sapi, effectively cancelling the December polls.

The federal seat has been vacant since the death of its incumbent Liew Vui Keong early last month.

Muhyiddin said public health topped the list of concerns behind the emergency declaration, adding that there was no strict public compliance with SOPs as seen in the recent Sabah election.

Other reasons include the difficulty of controlling cross-border travel by election officers and voters, the risk of infection for elderly voters who form 22.3% of the electorate in Batu Sapi, and the socio-economic impact on the residents of Batu Sapi and the Sandakan district in the event that a fresh wave of Covid-19 cases follows the by-election.

“This will definitely undermine the efforts of the frontliners, most of whom feel exhausted after having worked very hard for so long to contain the pandemic.

“Have mercy on those who are struggling night and day and losing sleep to protect our lives,” the prime minister said.

He assured residents in Batu Sapi that the emergency declaration would have no impact on their daily lives.

“There will be no curfews or military-like rule in Batu Sapi,” he said, adding that all administrative and economic activities will be allowed subject to health SOPs.

“On behalf of the Perikatan Nasional government, I give my word that once the Covid-19 pandemic ends, the Batu Sapi election will be held in accordance with the provisions of the Federal Constitution.

“When the by-election is held, voters may exercise their democratic rights in a safe, peaceful and harmonious situation,” he added.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

Pintu Kaabah dibuka untuk Muhyiddin

Perdana menteri selesai menunaikan ibadah umrah.

Ketua pegawai media BN digantung, tetapi apakah jawatan itu wujud?

Jawatan itu diwujudkan bagi melindungi presiden Umno yang menerima kritikan parti komponen BN.

Gara-gara kenyataan Zahid mirip PH, BN gantung pegawai media

Kenyataan Umno yang dikeluarkan malam tadi tidak mendapat kelulusan Sekretariat Dewan Tertinggi terlebih dahulu.

Jemaah teruja ‘Abah’ hadir di Masjid Negeri Perlis

Perdana menteri dijadualkan melawat Pusat Pemberian Vaksin (PPV) Klinik Kesihatan Kampung Gial, Kangar hari ini.

It’s Zahid’s statement, not ours, say BN leaders

MIC and MCA presidents say the Barisan Nasional Supreme Council meeting last night only agreed that no assumptions would be made.