International Trade and Industry Minister Tengku Zafrul Aziz says the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has yet to record his statement regarding alleged irregularities in the use of funds totalling RM600 billion.
In a Twitter post yesterday, Zafrul said he would give his full cooperation if contacted by MACC.
"There is nothing to hide. So far, MACC has not contacted me. If contacted, I will give my full cooperation," he said.
Media reports had said MACC would call up former prime minister Muhyiddin Yassin, former health minister Khairy Jamaluddin and Zafrul to give their statements on the alleged misuse of RM600 billion. Zafrul was the finance minister at the time in Muhyiddin’s Cabinet.
Allegations of irregularities on the use of RM600 billion in emergency funds during the Covid-19 pandemic were first raised by former Melaka chief minister Adly Zahari during the general election campaign on Nov 15.
On Dec 6, MACC chief commissioner Azam Baki told Bernama that it had opened investigation papers on alleged irregularities concerning the RM600 billion funds under the previous government.
On the same day, Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim told Muhyiddin not to challenge the government on the alleged breach of procedures regarding the RM600 billion fund under the Perikatan Nasional chairman’s administration.
A day earlier, Muhyiddin had told a press conference after a Padang Serai election campaign event that Anwar should investigate the fund issue properly and gather the correct data before issuing statements.