The prosecution today filed an appeal against the Court of Appeal’s decision to acquit former federal territories minister Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor of a charge of receiving RM2 million in bribes from a businessman in 2016.
According to sources in the Attorney-General’s Chambers, the notice of appeal was filed at 12.30pm today. The prosecution is appealing against the decision to the Federal Court.
On July 16, the Court of Appeal allowed the appeal of Tengku Adnan, also known as Ku Nan, to set aside the conviction and sentence of 12 months’ jail and RM2 million fine meted out by the Kuala Lumpur High Court.
Judge Suraya Othman, who read out the 2-1 majority decision, said the court found that the cheque for RM2 million received by Tengku Adnan from businessman Chai Kin Kong was a political contribution to Umno.
Justice Ahmad Nasfy Yasin agreed with Suraya while Abu Bakar Jais rejected Tengku Adnan’s appeal.
Abu Bakar said he agreed with the decision of the High Court Judge that Tengku Adnan had received the cheque for himself and that it was not a political contribution for Umno.
On Dec 21 last year, High Court judge Mohamed Zaini Mazlan sentenced the Putrajaya MP to 12 months in jail and imposed a RM2 million fine on him after finding him guilty.
Tengku Adnan, 70, was charged in his capacity as a public servant with having received for himself a total of RM2 million from Aset Kayamas Sdn Bhd (AKSB) director Chai via a cheque deposited into a bank account owned by Tadmansori Holdings Sdn Bhd, in which Tengku Adnan had an interest in and was known to AKSB as being related to his official duties.
He was accused of committing the offence at CIMB Bank Bhd, Damansara Town Centre branch, on June 14, 2016, under Section 165 of the Penal Code which provides for an imprisonment of up to two years, a fine or both.