- Advertisement -

MACC says Jho Low in Macau

This follows earlier remarks about several sightings of the fugitive businessman there.

2 minute read
Fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho. Photo: AFP
Fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho. Photo: AFP

Fugitive financier Jho Low, wanted for his key role in the multibillion-dollar 1MDB scandal, is believed to be hiding in Macau, the anti-graft agency said today, confirming an earlier report by Al Jazeera.

Al Jazeera had cited a written response from the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to its queries on Low's whereabouts.

"This was also confirmed by several individuals who have seen Jho Low in Macau," Al Jazeera quoted MACC as saying.

MACC confirmed to Reuters it had issued the remarks to Al Jazeera, but did not elaborate. Macau's police and government did not immediately respond to Reuters' requests for comment.

Low, whose full name is Low Taek Jho, has been charged in Malaysia and the US for allegedly masterminding the theft of US$4.5 billion (RM20.71 billion) from state fund 1MDB. He has consistently denied wrongdoing.

Malaysian authorities have previously said Low was believed to be in China, though Beijing has denied that.

According to Al Jazeera, MACC's comments come just weeks after the arrest of Kee Kok Thiam – a Malaysian associate of Low and a suspect in the 1MDB case, who it said was deported from Macau for overstaying his visa.

The report said Kee had confirmed to MACC that he had met Low and other 1MDB fugitives and suspects in Macau.

Low told Kee "not to return to Malaysia as a witness in the 1MDB case", Al Jazeera quoted the MACC as saying.

Reuters could not reach Kee for comment.

MACC confirmed earlier this month that an unnamed Low associate who had been on the run since 2018 was repatriated by anti-graft authorities, following cooperation with international law enforcement agencies.

Malaysian police had said in 2018 that Low was believed to have left Macau for an unknown destination, citing an email from Macau authorities.

The Macau judiciary police at the time confirmed they had sent a response to Malaysia but would "not disclose personal entry and exit information".