Malaysia will submit an appeal to the International Paralympic Committee and World Para Athletics regarding the controversial results of the men’s shot-put F20 (intellectual impairment) category at the Tokyo Paralympics yesterday.
Chef de mission Megat D Shahriman Zaharudin said the process of appealing to both world bodies would be done on Sept 1.
“For now, I do not want to say anything else. We have to be sensitive regarding this matter,” he told Bernama, adding that he would release an official statement.
He had earlier lodged a protest with the Tokyo Paralympics technical committee regarding the status of national athlete Muhammad Ziyad Zolkefli, who was classified as did not start (DNS) despite completing all his throws in the final at the Tokyo Olympic Stadium.
Ziyad had broken his own world record twice en route to what he thought would earn him the gold medal before a protest was lodged against him.