Thursday, February 18, 2021

Biden administration puts hold on arms sales, including to UAE and Saudi Arabia

In its last months, the Trump White House authorised billions of dollars in new arms sales which the new administration wants to re-examine.

Other News

Apa kerajaan buat semasa darurat?

Sepanjang tempoh darurat berkuat kuasa, beberapa tindakan telah diambil oleh kerajaan termasuk penubuhan Jawatankuasa Teknikal Pengurusan Darurat.

Lebih 2 penumpang dibenarkan dalam satu kenderaan di kawasan PKP

Kelonggaran itu berkuat kuasa esok.

Dine-in allowed subject to table size, SOPs

The two-person limit for cars will also be lifted in all zones.

25 kes kematian baru dilaporkan, tertinggi setakat ini

5,320 sembuh, 2,712 positif Covid-19.

Daily deaths hit new high of 25

2,712 new cases, 5,320 recoveries.

The Biden administration has put a temporary hold on several major foreign arms sales initiated by former president Donald Trump.

Officials say that among the agreements being paused is a deal to supply precision-guided missiles to Saudi Arabia, and a massive US$23 billion sale of armed drones and stealth F-35 fighters to the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

The UAE would have become the first Arab nation – and only the second country in the Middle East, after Israel – to possess the stealth warplanes.

That sale and several other massive purchases of US weaponry by Gulf Arab countries had been harshly criticised by Democrats in Congress.

In its last months, the Trump administration authorised billions of dollars in new arms sales following the signing of the Abraham Accords between Israel, Bahrain and the UAE, under which the Arab states agreed to normalise relations with Israel.

US arms manufacturers Raytheon Technologies and Lockheed Martin both have lucrative contracts with the two Arab nations now under re-examination.

In December, the US State Department under Trump also gave the go-ahead for the sale of 3,000 precision-guided GBU-39 Small Diameter Bombs to Saudi Arabia, in a deal worth US$290 million.

Congressional critics have expressed disapproval with such sales, alleging the weapons could be used to prosecute Saudi Arabia’s war in Yemen.

Incoming Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Menendez, said the sales “were inexplicably rushed without thorough review of implications for US national security and protection of innocent lives in Yemen”.

On Tuesday, lawmakers sent a letter to Secretary of State Antony Blinken calling for overhaul of the US-Saudi relationship, and among other requests, urged him to freeze the delivery of all offensive weapons to Riyadh.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

Dubai princess says being held against her will by her father

Latifa's friends have voiced concern that secret messages from her have stopped coming,

Saudi women’s driving rights activist released from prison after 1,001 days

Saudi officials say they aren't bowing to outside pressure but it's clear they want this issue off the agenda now that there's a new team in the White House.

Saudi Arabia to reform legal system en route to post-oil future

Preparing to sell itself as a destination for international business headquarters may have spin-off benefits for women's rights.

Hope leads the way as Earth convoy enters Mars orbit this week

Amal carries the hope and pride of the Arab world as the country prepares for a post-oil future.

Young Saudi Shiites have death penalties converted to 10 years in jail

Time served will apply in all three cases, and they will be released in 2022.