Wednesday, February 24, 2021

9 trapped Chinese miners confirmed dead, one still missing

Rescue teams will not stop searching until the last miner is found although high underground water levels in a section of the mine have complicated rescue operations.

Other News

Imigresen harus disiasat kerana langgar perintah mahkamah, kata NGO

Human Rights Watch berkata, jabatan imigresen harus sedar mereka tidak boleh bertindak melangkaui undang-undang.

Covid-19 infections in Lagos alone ‘may top Africa’s official total’

The numbers in Africa could be higher than reported because of low testing and poor registration of deaths.

Iraq’s ancient Christian community decimated by violence, fear

The Hammurabi Human Rights Organisation says only 400,000 Christians remain today in a predominantly Muslim country of 40 million people.

Group calls for probe on immigration dept for ‘defying’ court order on refugees

Human Rights Watch says the immigration department 'should recognise that it cannot operate above the law'.

As GPS rides high in Sarawak, no sign of opposition joining forces

Bad blood between PSB and Pakatan Harapan in the state is likely to derail any cooperation, even in the interest of ensuring straight fights with the ruling GPS.

Nine more Chinese miners trapped underground for over two weeks have been confirmed dead, local government officials said Monday, leaving one unaccounted for after a blast at the site.

A group of 22 were trapped hundreds of metres underground by an explosion at the Hushan mine in eastern Shandong province on Jan 10, with some relying on food and medicine delivered through long shafts drilled by rescue teams.

Eleven survivors were finally brought to the surface on Sunday in a major breakthrough for a rescue operation that has captivated the nation.

“From Sunday afternoon to this afternoon, rescue workers have not stopped searching, and found a further nine trapped miners who unfortunately all died,” the mayor of Yantai city, Chen Fei, said at a briefing Monday.

“Along with one miner who died on Thursday, the bodies of the nine deceased miners were all lifted out of the mine.”

Rescue teams will not stop searching until the last remaining miner is found, Chen said, adding that high underground water levels in a section of the mine had complicated rescue operations.

The initial explosion occurred in the mine’s ventilator shaft, causing a blockage that damaged the cable car.

Chen said that all nine miners had been killed by the impact of a secondary explosion in the mine on Jan 10 as they were trying to escape, judging from their positions.

Rescue operations sped up dramatically on Sunday as a blockage in the ventilator shaft was cleared.

Contact was first established a week ago with a group of 11 miners trapped in a section of the mine around 580m (1,900 feet) below the surface.

One of them was seriously injured in the initial explosion and died after falling into a coma.

Another miner was found alive by rescuers as they attempted to reach the group.

Mining accidents are common in China’s dangerous and poorly regulated sector.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

Hong Kong to disqualify disloyal politicians, officials

A list of offences includes acts that endanger national security, advocating for independence or refusing to accept China's sovereignty over Hong Kong.

Man causes outage in China after sit-ups on power pole

The incident was a hot topic on Chinese social media, with at least 1.7 million views of one hashtag relating to it.

China’s treatment of Uighurs is genocide, says Canadian parliament

PM Trudeau has been reluctant to use the word genocide, preferring that Western allies should move together on Chinese human rights issues.

UK to challenge China at UN, demanding fact-finding access to Xinjiang

The 'disgraceful' treatment of Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny, the crisis in Myanmar and the situation in Belarus are also slated to be raised by Britain.

India, China pull back frontline forces from disputed border lake

The two countries have an agreement not to use guns or explosives along the border, so clashes between troops have seen stones and nail-studded clubs used as weapons.