Thursday, March 4, 2021

Tokyo Olympics ‘unlikely’, says London 2012 official

Deputy chairman of London 2012 organising committee says Tokyo officials should be making plans to cancel.

Other News

SPRM tahan setiausaha politik Xavier dalam siasatan kes rasuah

Fazly Razally antara beberapa individu berkait bekas menteri itu yang disiasat kerana rasuah.

Xavier’s pol-sec in MACC custody as graft probe continues

Fazly Razally is one of several individuals linked to the ex-minister who are under a corruption probe.

Kes Covid-19 kembali naik di seluruh dunia

WHO mendapati Timur Tengah adalah rantau yang paling tinggi peningkatan kes.

5 mangsa dihempap jejambat runtuh di MRR2

Jejambat runtuh menghempap sebuah van kilang di Lebuhraya MRR2 laluan Pandan Indah ke Ampang, Kuala Lumpur.

Vaksin cukup untuk setiap individu dewasa di AS

Presiden AS Joe Biden jamin rakyat negara itu mendapat vaksin Covid-19.

The Tokyo Olympics look “unlikely” to go ahead as the coronavirus pandemic continues to paralyse large parts of the world, a senior official from the London 2012 Games has said.

Keith Mills, who was deputy chairman of the London 2012 organising committee, said Tokyo officials should be making plans to cancel.

Japanese and International Olympic Committee officials remain adamant the 2020 Games, already postponed for a year, will go ahead in July and August despite the ongoing health crisis.

“Personally, sitting here, looking at the pandemic around the world, in South America, North America, Africa and Europe, it looks unlikely,” Mills told the BBC.

“If I were sitting in the shoes of the organisers, I would be making plans for a cancellation and I’m sure they do, but I think they will leave it absolutely the last minute in case the situation improves dramatically.

“But it is a tough call.”

Tokyo and other parts of Japan are currently under a state of emergency to quash a surge in infections, and polls indicate that public support for the Olympics has plunged.

But World Athletics president Sebastian Coe said he still thought the Games would go ahead.

“I don’t think it will be cancelled,” Coe told Sky News. “It’ll be a challenge, we know. It’s pretty self-evident. There will be adaptations.”

“I think the Games will take place but they will look different,” he added.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

Pensioner pleads guilty to organising wedding feast during MCO

It is understood that several guests tested positive for Covid-19 after that.

Rights group slams call for private hospitals to offer Covid-19 jabs

Suaram says any commercialisation of the vaccines will lead to another form of queue-cutting that will benefit the rich.

Use of tracking device among new provisions under emergency ordinance

The wristband will be made mandatory for those who test positive for Covid-19, persons under investigation and those under surveillance.

Air cargo traffic recovers to pre-pandemic levels

But passenger traffic, measured as revenue per passenger kilometre, was down by 72% in January from the same month last year.