Tuesday, January 26, 2021

China reports first virus death in 8 months

No details were given about the latest death by health authorities, except that it occurred in Hebei province, where the government has placed several cities under lockdown.

Other News

DAP leader hits out at Noor Hisham over ‘personal preferences’, ‘blind spots’

Liew Chin Tong criticises the DG for cautioning against the use of rapid test kits, adding that the government has 'practically abandoned' contact tracing as well.

Pasangan ‘PJJ’ boleh rentas negeri mulai esok, kata menteri

Kerajaan bersetuju memberi kelonggaran itu tetapi pasangan terbabit perlu mendapat kebenaran polis terlebih dahulu.

Anwar challenges PM over suspension of parliament

Lawyer Ramkarpal Singh says they are challenging the advice of the PM for the king to suspend parliament, not the emergency itself.

Kes kematian capai angka 700, 4,076 dilaporkan pulih

Kes aktif dengan kebolehjangkitan pula berjumlah 40,574.

Death toll hits 700 as recoveries still outstrip new cases

3,585 new cases, 4,076 recoveries with 280 in ICU.

China reported a death from Covid-19 on Thursday – its first in eight months – as the country battles to contain a resurgence in cases and prepares for the arrival of an expert team from the World Health Organization (WHO).

China had largely brought the virus under control after strict lockdowns, mass testing and travel restrictions, but recent weeks have seen numbers climbing again, especially in the north.

Another 138 infections were reported by the National Health Commission on Thursday – the highest single-day tally since March last year.

No details were given about the latest death by health authorities, except that it occurred in Hebei province, where the government has placed several cities under lockdown.

Authorities last week launched a mass testing drive and closed transport links, schools and shops in the Hebei’s capital city Shijiazhuang – epicentre of the latest outbreak.

Neighbouring Xingtai, home to seven million people, has also been locked down since last Friday, as have the five million people of Langfang city.

Another province, northeastern Heilongjiang, declared an “emergency state” on Wednesday, telling its 37.5 million residents not to leave the province unless absolutely necessary.

The death comes as China readies for the arrival of an expert team of scientists from WHO, who will start a politically sensitive investigation into the origins of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The 10-strong team is expected to arrive in Wuhan on Thursday.

No deaths have been reported in mainland China since May last year.

China’s official death toll now stands at 4,635.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

Death toll hits 700 as recoveries still outstrip new cases

3,585 new cases, 4,076 recoveries with 280 in ICU.

Indonesia passes one million Covid-19 cases

There are reports of patients being unable to access ICUs and isolation rooms due to high demand – a shortage underscored by an East Java city's move to outfit a train carriage to accommodate the sick.

Philippine president tells kids to stay home and watch TV

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has reimposed a ban on children aged 10 to 14 leaving home, a move which others say could hamper economic recovery.

Tiger euthanised in Covid-19 outbreak at Swedish zoo

Three gorillas at a California zoo are recovering from the virus in what experts believe is the first known case of transmission to primates.

Mydin boss tells why he’s no believer in online shopping

Ameer Ali Mydin says only 'two multinational suppliers' benefit from e-commerce.