Monday, January 25, 2021

‘Uncle Roger’ sparks China censorship row with deleted video

Nigel Ng, popularly known as 'Uncle Roger', apologised to Chinese fans and removed a video featuring a fellow YouTube star who had been critical of Beijing.

Other News

Tiada penutupan ekonomi serta-merta, dewan perdagangan Eropah beri penjelasan

Eurocham meminta semua pihak bertenang kerana tiada penutupan ekonomi serta-merta selepas 4 Februari, 2021.

No Europe deaths directly tied to Covid jabs, experts say

Health agencies stress that the vast majority of post-vaccination fatalities were elderly, already vulnerable and often sick.

No lockdown, business chamber clarifies after leaked letter

Eurocham calls for calm, saying there was no mention of an immediate lockdown after Feb 4.

Pasar Borong Pandan di JB ditutup seminggu kerana Covid-19

Pasar terbabit akan beroperasi semula selepas kerja-kerja sanitasi selesai dilakukan mengikut tarikh ditetapkan.

Berbalah jawatan PM ketika negara berdepan Covid-19 kerja mengarut, kata Hadi

Perbalahan itu hanya mengganggu usaha membantu rakyat yang terkesan oleh penularan pandemik tersebut, justeru harus dihentikan.

A UK-based comedian has sparked a censorship row after he apologised to Chinese fans and removed a video featuring a fellow YouTube star who had been critical of Beijing.

Malaysian-born stand-up Nigel Ng has become a viral sensation in recent months with his character “Uncle Roger”, an alter-ego based on a disapproving middle-aged man who critiques bad attempts at making Asian cuisine.

His video of a horrified Uncle Roger watching a BBC presenter butcher fried rice has racked up more than 20 million views on his YouTube channel. The video was also widely ripped and shared inside China.

But Ng now finds himself at the centre of a storm over digital content creators bowing to Chinese censorship – even on platforms that cannot be accessed inside the authoritarian mainland.

The comedian’s presence in China is relatively small: his account on the Twitter-like Weibo platform has just 125,000 followers compared to the three million subscribers on YouTube, a website that is blocked by China’s censors.

On Tuesday Ng posted a message on Weibo announcing he had deleted a video which featured Mike Chen, a popular American food blogger and YouTuber.

“During the cooperation between me and the YouTuber, I wasn’t aware of his political thoughts and the incorrect remarks he had made on China,” Ng wrote, adding the video featuring Chen had created “negative social impact”.

During the video – copies of which were still available online – Ng and Chen review another food presenter’s attempts to make dumplings. There is no discussion of politics.

But Chen is frequently critical of Beijing on own social media platforms, writing posts about human rights abuses in Hong Kong and against China’s Uighur Muslim minority.

He also highlights Beijing’s pursuit of the Falun Gong, a religious sect that has been banned by mainland authorities.

Ng did not respond to requests for comment.

But Chen decried the decision to delete the video and said it illustrated China’s growing sway over artists beyond its borders.

“I do think that what happened here is the result of the Chinese Communist Party’s censorship, even if it wasn’t direct censorship,” he said.

“(China) uses many tactics to silence those who disagree with them or challenge them. They will use online mobs to bully or intimidate people. They will use their soft power to get people to self-censor because they are afraid of losing business in China or offending Chinese people,” he added.

Badiucao, a dissident Chinese artist based in Australia, posted a cartoon showing the character Uncle Roger in front of a Chinese flag.

“The Chinese government makes it clear to all creators outside of China that the only way to have a share in its market inside wall is obedience,” Badiucao told AFP, accusing NG of “self-censoring for renminbi from the Chinese market.”

The renminbi is China’s official currency.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

Chinese gold miners to stay trapped at least 2 more weeks

An explosion caused a massive collapse while the mine was under construction.

China overtakes Germany with world’s largest current account surplus

The change underlines a massive shift in world trade triggered by the coronavirus crisis.

Prada drops Chinese actress over alleged illegal surrogacy row

The international luxury fashion brand had only recently unveiled Zheng Shuang as its face of China.

Wuhan bustles a year after world’s first Covid lockdown

The city has bounced back and is eager to move on from being known as ground zero of the deadly virus.

China imposes sanctions on Pompeo, 27 other Trump-era officials

Beijing says they and their families will be banned from entering China and that companies associated with them will be restricted from doing business with China.