Sunday, March 7, 2021

344 Nigerian schoolboys released after mass kidnapping

It remains unclear if all the abducted schoolboys have been released, amid ongoing uncertainty over the number taken in the first place.

Other News

Ahli Parlimen Tebrau nafi dakwaan PH berhubung tekanan dari LHDN dan SPRM

Steven Choong berkata tuduhan pemimpin Pakatan Harapan adalah tidak berasas.

Tebrau MP denies PH claim of pressure from tax and anti-graft agencies

LHDN and MACC also deny being used to pressure opposition politicians and their family members.

PDRM nafi dijadikan ‘senjata politik’ sekat demokrasi

SPRM turut senada dengan PDRM nafi dakwaan agensinya dijadikan alat politik.

Aktiviti sukan individu, berpasukan dibenarkan di kawasan PKPB, PKPP

Kebenaran itu tertakluk kepada arahan kawalan pergerakan yang sedang berkuat kuasa dan kebenaran pihak berkuasa berkaitan.

Malaysia catat 1,680 kes baru Covid-19 hari ini

Kes baru masih menunjukkan trend penurunan dengan catatan angka di bawah 2,000 kes.

More than 300 Nigerian schoolboys were released on Thursday after being abducted in an attack claimed by Boko Haram, officials said, although it was unclear if any more remained with their captors.

The assault last Friday on a rural school in Kankara, Katsina state in northwest Nigeria, was initially blamed on criminal gangs who have terrorised the region for years.

But on Tuesday Boko Haram, the brutal jihadist group behind the abduction of 276 schoolgirls in Chibok in 2014, claimed responsibility for the raid.

After a six-day ordeal, local officials said the boys had been released.

“344 are now with the security agencies and will be moved to Katsina this night,” state governor Aminu Bello Masari said.

In an interview with state channel NTA, the governor added: “I think we have recovered most of the boys, it’s not all of them.”

Those who were released, “will be given proper medical attention and care before being reunited with their families”, he added.

“This is a huge relief to the entire country & international community,” President Muhammadu Buhari said on Twitter.

It remained unclear, however, if all the abducted schoolboys had been released, amid ongoing uncertainty over the number taken in the first place.

In a video released by Boko Haram Thursday, a distraught teenager said he was among 520 students kidnapped.

“No one can give the exact number of the children,” a security source told AFP Thursday, saying the schoolboys were left in the forest after negotiations with the government.

“The children are being gathered in the town of Tsafe in Zamfara state and nearby Yankara in Katsina state.”

“The actual number of freed children will only be known after a head count when they arrive (in the state capital) Katsina. Any figures given are a conjecture,” the same source added.

Alliance of ‘bandits and terrorists’

Sources had previously told AFP that the raid was carried out by a well known criminal in the region, Awwalun Daudawa, in collaboration with Idi Minorti and Dankarami, two other crime chiefs with strong local followings, acting on behalf of Boko Haram.

Experts recently warned that jihadists – operating in the northeast of the country, hundreds of kilometres from where Friday’s attack occurred – were attempting to forge an alliance with criminal gangs in the northwest.

President Buhari’s official spokesman Garba Shehu said on Twitter “the northwest now presents a challenge which his administration is determined to deal with.”

“It is unfortunate that the bandits and terrorists continue to get weapons even under the circumstances of the border closure. We are going to dare them.”

Many parents of the missing students in Kankara said they had long feared an attack, given escalating violence in the region.

“Our children told us armed men would come up to the school fence but they never breached the fence… until last Friday,” Hauwa’u Isah, mother of an abducted child said.

Around 8,000 people have been killed in the northwest since 2011, according to the International Crisis Group think tank.

#BringBackOurBoys started trending on social media earlier this week, in reference to a similar hashtag after the Chibok kidnappings.

Small protests to push for the boys’ release took place in Katsina on Thursday as Buhari was visiting the state.

“Why we are here today is because we want to tell the federal government that what they are doing is not enough,” protester Jamilu Aliyu Turanci said.

“Mr President has failed us.”

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

Malaysia kesan dua kes Covid-19 varian Nigeria B1.525

Kedua-dua kes adalah yang pertama dikesan melalui ujian swab ketika dua individu tiba dari Dubai.

All 279 kidnapped Nigerian students released, governor says

Heavily-armed criminal gangs in northwest and central Nigeria have stepped up attacks in recent years, kidnapping for ransom, raping and pillaging.

Over 300 kidnapped schoolgirls still missing as Nigerian security forces search forests

Rumours circulated on social media on Sunday that the girls had been released, but they turned out to be false.

Covid-19 infections in Lagos alone ‘may top Africa’s official total’

The numbers in Africa could be higher than reported because of low testing and poor registration of deaths.

Turkey says no word on sailors taken by pirates off Nigeria

Last year, pirates kidnapped 130 sailors in 22 incidents in the same waters, accounting for all but five merchant seamen seized worldwide.