Sunday, March 7, 2021

333 kidnapped schoolboys still missing, says Nigerian army

A local says the bandits abducted the students out of revenge for a vigilante attack.

Other News

Ahli Parlimen PKR sahkan tiada tawaran RM10 juta untuk lompat parti

SPRM masih meneruskan siasatan berhubung dakwaan rasuah tersebut.

No RM10 million offer to jump ship, says PKR MP

This follows the MACC report lodged by Natrah Ismail over an alleged attempt to procure her support for Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin.

Dr Mahathir lega setelah disuntik vaksin Covid-19

Dr Mahathir berkata rakyat Malaysia tidak perlu meragui keberkesanan dan keselamatan vaksin.

Trend jangkitan Covid-19 terus menurun, catat bawah 2,000 kes baru

Malaysia catat 1,683 kes baru Covid-19 hari ini.

New cases still under 2,000 as recoveries stay ahead

1,683 new cases, 2,506 recoveries.

The Nigerian army has confirmed that 333 schoolboys are still missing after bandits attacked a government science secondary school last Friday and abducted hundreds of students.

Major General John Enenche said on Channels Television on Monday: “The Kankara school principal reported that 839 were in the boarding house when they were abducted. At 2pm Sunday the number of students that could not be accounted for reduced to 333.”

He described how the bandits used motorcycles to transport the kidnapped schoolchildren into the bush from where some of them escaped.

The attack prompted the state government to order the closure of all boarding schools in the state to prevent further mass kidnappings.

Authorities have denied the kidnappings were carried out by terrorists, and an anonymous Ƙankara resident has told Nigerian Channels Television that the bandits abducted the students out of revenge.

He revealed that the outlaws had previously attacked another village on Wednesday last week killing 12 villagers and abducting others.

“On Thursday, a vigilante posse went after the bandits in their hideouts and engaged in burning down their houses, killing some of them,” he said. “This made the bandits attack the other school on Friday night.”

The abduction of the schoolboys came at a time when President Muhammadu Buhari was visiting his hometown in Katsina state. He condemned the abduction of the students and directed the reinforcement of security at all schools.

In a statement on Saturday, the presidency said the military had located the bandits’ location and were in the process of retrieving the abducted students.

The Minister of Defence, Major General Bashir Magashi, gave an assurance that the boys would be rescued in a few hours.

Almost a day since the minister made the promise, the schoolboys have yet to return.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

Malaysia kesan dua kes Covid-19 varian Nigeria B1.525

Kedua-dua kes adalah yang pertama dikesan melalui ujian swab ketika dua individu tiba dari Dubai.

All 279 kidnapped Nigerian students released, governor says

Heavily-armed criminal gangs in northwest and central Nigeria have stepped up attacks in recent years, kidnapping for ransom, raping and pillaging.

Over 300 kidnapped schoolgirls still missing as Nigerian security forces search forests

Rumours circulated on social media on Sunday that the girls had been released, but they turned out to be false.

Covid-19 infections in Lagos alone ‘may top Africa’s official total’

The numbers in Africa could be higher than reported because of low testing and poor registration of deaths.

Turkey says no word on sailors taken by pirates off Nigeria

Last year, pirates kidnapped 130 sailors in 22 incidents in the same waters, accounting for all but five merchant seamen seized worldwide.