Thursday, March 4, 2021

Hong Kong will keep people off the streets to control new ‘more severe’ Covid-19 wave

Most of the new cases originate from within the city and were not brought in.

Other News

Umno to delay party polls as it enters GE fray as opposition

This is the second time in three years that the party will defer its polls.

Ban on full facial coverings to be put to vote in Switzerland

The ban would mean that nobody could cover their face completely in public – whether in shops or the open countryside, although exceptions will be made for places of worship.

Jerman longgar peraturan sekatan Covid-19

Jerman benarkan pertemuan ahli dua buah rumah termasuk kanak-kanak.

Residents question silence from elected reps over revival of axed highway

Most have not responded to concerns about the PJD Link, which critics say will displace long-time residents and businesses and increase noise pollution along with other environmental and health hazards.

Penduduk persoal Adun senyap isu lebuh raya PJD Link

Projek PJD Link dilihat sebagai usaha menghidupkan semula Kidex yang sebelum ini telah dibatalkan kerajaan negeri.

Covid-19 is surging again in Hong Kong. On Monday the city logged 78 new cases, and leader Carrie Lam said from Tuesday inside dining in restaurants will be banned from 6pm to curb the rise in the densely packed financial hub.

Lam, speaking at her weekly press briefing, told reporters, “The situation is very worrying. This wave is more complicated and more severe than the last wave. The confirmed cases are widely spread out.”

The government has already urged residents to stay at home and limit gatherings to no more than two people, while most civil servants must work from home.

“If we don’t control it strictly, there’ll be bigger risks. This time we’ll roll out suppressing measures aimed at limiting foot traffic flow on the streets,” Lam said.

The government has also ordered compulsory testing for workers at retirement homes and facilities for people with disabilities.

New measures to be announced will include the closure, once again, of gyms and beauty salons. Lam did not provide details or say when the new measures would take effect.

She said the government will also study additional relief measures for those affected by the latest restrictions, reports Channel NewsAsia.

Since Nov 17, more than 1,000 cases have been reported, only a few of which were brought from outside the city.

Hong Kong and Singapore have called off a planned travel bubble until next year in response to the surge in Hong Kong cases.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

Australia extends international flight ban for 3 more months

Anyone hoping to enter Australia will have longer to wait as arrivals are limited to the capacity of mandatory quarantine hotels.

Brazil reports second straight day of record Covid-19 deaths

Far-right President Jair Bolsonaro faces sharp criticism for downplaying the new coronavirus, flouting expert advice on containing it with lockdowns and face masks, and over his government's slow pace in vaccinating the population.

AstraZeneca vaccine effective in over-80s, study shows

Stephen Evans, professor of Pharmacoepidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, says the results 'provide further evidence that the vaccines are effective both in an older age group less studied in the trials'.

India developer says homegrown Covid-19 vaccine is 81% effective

Questions had been raised about the effectiveness of Bharat Biotech's Covaxin after officials authorised it for emergency use in January even though its Phase 3 trials were not complete.

Sweden sees first case of baby infected with Covid-19 in the womb

The baby was also found to have developed its own antibodies against the virus.