Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Beijing bars more foreign arrivals for fear of virus resurgence

The Chinese foreign ministry says it is a 'reasonable and fair' measure to tackle the pandemic.

Other News

Menteri BN sokong penuh Muhyiddin

Setiausaha Agung BN Annuar Musa yang juga Menteri Wilayah Persekutuan ketika dihubungi mengesahkan kenyataan yang dikeluarkan bersama itu.

Singapore deports Bangladeshis over anti-France posts

The individuals, most of whom were construction workers, put up social media posts 'which incited violence or stoked communal unrest' in response to the attacks in France.

Russia says Sputnik V vaccine 95% effective

It can be stored at between two and eight degrees Celsius instead of the temperatures below freezing required for some other vaccines.

FIFA bans head of African football from the game over corruption

CAF paid for Ahmad and other Muslim federation heads to travel to Saudi Arabia for the umrah pilgrimage.

2,188 kes baru Covid-19, 1,623 di Selangor

Angka keseluruhan Covid-19 kini berjumlah 58,847 kes.

China on Thursday defended a ban on non-Chinese arrivals from a growing list of countries as “reasonable and fair” as it guards against a resurgence of the coronavirus.

Covid-19 first emerged in central China late last year, but Beijing has largely brought its outbreak under control through tight travel restrictions and stringent health measures for anyone entering the country.

In March, as the virus ripped across the world, China shut its borders to all foreign nationals.

It gradually eased restrictions to allow those stranded overseas to return with special permission from its embassies, negative Covid-19 tests and a two-week quarantine on arrival.

But in a sharp reversal, as the outbreak once more billows out across Europe, the Chinese embassy in the UK on Wednesday said Beijing had decided to “temporarily suspend” entry from Britain by non-Chinese nationals.

Embassies in Belgium, the Philippines, India, Ukraine and Bangladesh have since put out similar notices.

The Chinese foreign ministry said Thursday it was a “reasonable and fair” measure to tackle the pandemic.

“China is drawing on the practices of many countries and adjusting its handling of the entry of the relevant people into China based on the changing pandemic situation,” said ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin.

Britain – one of the world’s hardest-hit countries with nearly 48,000 deaths linked to the virus and more than one million cases – has entered a new nationwide lockdown to curb the contagion’s spread.

Belgium, meanwhile, which has the most Covid-19 cases per capita in the world, has been in lockdown since last week, while large parts of the Philippines went back into lockdown in October.

India passed eight million cases last week, second only to the US, while Ukraine and Bangladesh have also been sources of imported cases in China in recent months.

Beijing has recently tightened requirements for travellers from several other countries, making entry much more difficult.

They include the presentation of a health certificate from the local Chinese embassy showing the results of a nucleic acid test and an antibody test – within 48 hours of travel.

The new rules apply to travellers from countries including France, Singapore, Canada, Germany, Pakistan, South Africa and the US.

The strict two-test entry requirement and short time frame have sparked complaints.

The European Chamber of Commerce in China said the measures were “a de facto ban on anyone trying to get back to their lives, work and families in China”.

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

UK may remove British judges from Hong Kong court over China’s ‘repression’

London objects to new laws to punish secession, sedition and collusion with foreign forces with up to life in jail.

Americans defy virus guidelines for high-risk Thanksgiving

With more than 150,000 new cases daily in the US, most state governors have urged citizens not to turn their dining rooms into hotbeds of coronavirus.

Ex-minister slams Top Glove after over 1,000 workers down with Covid-19

Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman says a 'windfall tax' should be imposed on Top Glove due to its unusual profits.

China probe aims to bring moon rocks to Earth

The first moon rock hunt for China and the first since the US and USSR brought lunar samples back over 40 years ago.

‘Eyes will be plucked out,’ China warns anglophone allies over Hong Kong

The Five Eyes are accusing Beijing of reneging on their agreements to maintain Hong Kong's special freedoms.