Saturday, November 28, 2020

Qatar to prosecute those behind invasive airport searches

Qatar government also reiterates its apology for the invasive gynaecological searches of women passengers at Doha airport.

Other News

Peruntukan “durian runtuh” Jasa dicantas separuh selepas nama, imej ditukar

Pengumuman pengurangan itu dijangka diumumkan ketika ucapan penggulungan peringkat jawatankuasa minggu depan.

With new name and image, Jasa’s ‘windfall’ budget to be halved

The RM85.5 million allocation, which came under criticism following its announcement on Nov 6, could be cut down by RM40 million, sources say.

Pengusaha tadika terjejas ‘terkapai-kapai’ tanpa bantuan

Pengusaha luah kekesalan kerana tidak diberikan bantuan kerajaan walaupun terjejas teruk sejak pelaksanaan Perintah Kawalan Pergerakan.

Kindergartens struggle on with no help in sight

They say they are not asking for money, only for clear and fair policies.

Pemuda DAP gesa parti pertimbang berpisah dengan PKR, bubarkan PH

Gesaan itu dibuat sekiranya Anwar Ibrahim tidak memohon maaf kepada parti sekutu dan rakyat Malaysia kerana tidak menyokong usul undi belah bahagi Belanjawan 2021.

Qatar said on Friday that those responsible for the invasive gynaecological searches of women passengers at Doha airport had been referred for prosecution over the “violations”.

Women on 10 flights out of Doha were subject to the examinations as authorities searched for the mother of a newborn baby found abandoned in an airport bathroom on Oct 2.

“Those responsible for these violations and illegal actions have been referred to the Public Prosecution Office,” the Government Communications Office said in a statement.

“The prime minister and minister of interior expressed the government of the state of Qatar’s sincerest apology for what some female travellers went through as a result of the measures.”

New Zealand said late Thursday that one of its citizens was among the women subjected to the invasive examinations, labelling the action “completely unacceptable”.

The incident occurred in early October but only came to light this week after affected Australian passengers spoke out.

Australia has since said 13 of its citizens had to endure the “appalling” examinations, Britain said it is providing support for two women, and AFP has learned a French woman was also affected.

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

Qatar faces scrutiny after women ‘forcibly examined’

Qatar's government has yet to address the airport allegations, despite a furious rebuke by Australia's Foreign Minister Marise Payne.

Pandemic reversing women’s contribution to economic growth

Post-pandemic workplaces will be majority-male if women are expected to work from home, and the economy will suffer.

Pakistan PM calls for public hanging, castration of rapists and child abusers

This follows a case in which a woman was dragged out of her car and gang-raped at gunpoint in front of her children.