Monday, November 30, 2020

French Muslim leader urges Muslims to follow example of the prophet

France urges citizens to be cautious abroad as anger grows worldwide over Prophet Muhammad cartoons.

Other News

Of dogs and our perceptions of others

Will kindness as a behaviour which we exhibit in our relationships with other people suffice when the perception we have of them remains skewed?

Pembangkang menang Belanjawan 2021, kerajaan PN menang diiktiraf

Pembangkang kekal pembangkang, kerajaan kekal kerajaan.

Belanjawan 2021 mula dibahaskan peringkat jawatankuasa hari ini

Rang Undang-undang Perbekalan 2021 berkenaan diluluskan di peringkat dasar Khamis lepas dengan suara majoriti.

F1 safety systems praised as Frenchman survives fireball in ‘miracle’

Romain Grosjean managed to escape with only 'light burns' to his hands and ankles while his car split in two on impact and burst into flames.

New York City to reopen primary schools despite virus surge

The city has dropped a requirement for schools to close if the rate of positive virus tests exceeds 3% for a week.

A senior French Muslim leader urged fellow Muslims on Tuesday to ignore cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad and not resort to violence in a call for moderation over cartoons of the prophet shown in a French school.

He was responding to growing unrest in Muslim countries and calls to avenge the blasphemy of showing the cartoons.

The head of the French Council for the Muslim Faith, Mohammed Moussaoui, reminded worshippers that such caricatures were allowed under French law, Reuters reports.

“This same law doesn’t force anyone to like them nor does it forbid anybody from hating them,” he said in a statement.

Moussaoui suggested Muslims should follow the example of the Prophet. According to Islamic tradition he ignored insults when a crowd once poked fun at him by calling him “Mudammam” – the ugly one.

“Isn’t it more in line with the prophet’s example to ignore these caricatures and consider them as having no relation whatsoever with our prophet?” he said.

As outrage mounted around the Muslim world, France urged its citizens on Tuesday to be cautious and avoid mass gatherings in countries that have announced boycotts of French products in fast-spreading protests against perceived anti-Muslim bias from Paris.

Tens of thousands marched Tuesday in the Bangladesh capital Dhaka, while in Syria protesters have burnt pictures of Macron, and in Libya French flags were burned.

“In several countries in recent days, there have been calls for a boycott of French products, particularly foodstuff, and more generally calls to protest against France,” the French foreign ministry said on its website.

“It is advisable to avoid areas where demonstrations are held, to stay away from gatherings, and to follow the guidance of the relevant French embassy or consulate,” it added.

“It is recommended to be most vigilant, especially when travelling, and in places frequented by tourists and expatriate communities.”

Earlier this month, Macron unveiled a plan to defend France’s secular values against a trend of “Islamist separatism”, and described Islam as a religion “in crisis”.

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

France outlaws discrimination based on accents

The maximum penalty proposed in the new legislation is three years' imprisonment and a fine of €45,000.

France, Britain ease lockdowns as second wave subsides

French President Emmanuel Macron says travel without authorisation will be allowed, and people will be able to spend Christmas with their families.

Singapore deports Bangladeshis over anti-France posts

The individuals, most of whom were construction workers, put up social media posts 'which incited violence or stoked communal unrest' in response to the attacks in France.

Extremism and Islamophobia, two sides of the same coin?

The latest incident in France should serve as a wake-up call to the republic to readjust its vision and ideals to meet the challenges of a globalised and pluralistic society.

French church attacker tests positive for Covid-19

Italian media reports say Brahim Issaoui was initially placed in quarantine with nearly 400 other migrants aboard a ferry boat, before being allowed to disembark at Bari on Oct 9.