Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Khashoggi fiancee sues Saudi prince in US over murder

Cengiz and human rights group DAWN said they filed the suit in Washington federal court because they saw no chance for justice in Saudi Arabia.

Other News

Kekangan belajar secara dalam talian akan diatasi dengan kaedah lebih berkesan, kata menteri

KPM cari kaedah berkesan untuk murid susulan penutupan sekolah.

Perhimpunan agung Bersatu Sabtu ini guna sidang video

Persidangan dalam talian akan disertai perwakilan dari seluruh negara di 14 lokasi.

PAC syor wujud sistem bersepadu pengambilan pekerja asing, banteras ‘pengantara’

Kementerian Dalam Negeri (KDN) dan Kementerian Sumber Manusia (KSM) disyor mewujudkan sistem itu bagi menangkis tuduhan rasuah dan salah guna kuasa melibatkan pekerja asing.

Police officer killed in shootout with smugglers

Another meanwhile was critically injured and has been hospitalised for treatment.

Why DBKL’s liquor ban should be revoked

We must respect the rights of non-Muslims as we live in a multi-religious country where, for many generations, there have been no problems with the sale of liquor at shops and grocery stores.

The fiancee of journalist Jamal Khashoggi sued Saudi Arabia’s crown prince and other officials Tuesday in a US court, seeking damages for his brutal murder in Istanbul two years ago.

Turkish citizen Hatice Cengiz and the human rights group Khashoggi formed before his death, Democracy for the Arab World Now (DAWN), is pursuing Mohammed bin Salman and 28 others for damages over the Oct 2, 2018 killing of the US-based writer.

Cengiz claims personal injury and financial losses over Khashoggi’s death, while DAWN said its operations and objectives were hampered by the loss of its founder and central figure.

“The ruthless torture and murder of Khashoggi shocked the conscience of people throughout the world,” the suit said.

“The objective of the murder was clear – to halt Khashoggi’s advocacy in the US, principally as the executive director of plaintiff DAWN, for democratic reform in the Arab world.”

Khashoggi was killed inside Saudi Arabia’s Istanbul consulate and his body dismembered and disposed of by a team of Saudis allegedly directed by right-hand men of the crown prince.

After global expressions of outrage over the case and pressure from the United States and Turkey, 13 Saudis were tried in Riyadh and sentenced to stiff prison terms.

But two top royal aides, deputy intelligence chief Ahmed al-Assiri and the royal court’s media chief Saud al-Qahtani, were exonerated, despite links to the murder.

Both of the aides, those convicted in Saudi Arabia for the murder, and others tied to the plot were named in the lawsuit.

Cengiz and DAWN said they filed the suit in Washington federal court because they saw no chance for justice in Saudi Arabia, known for its opaque courts, and Turkish legal experts said the civil case would not go forward while Ankara pursues a criminal case over the murder.

A prominent critic of the Riyadh regime, Khashoggi had been living near Washington and working in part for the Washington Post when he was killed.

Cengiz said the two had wed under Islamic traditions and were preparing a civil marriage.

The suit alleges that the plot against him involved the Saudi embassy in Washington, which directed him to travel to Istanbul to obtain the documents needed for their marriage.

It also says his murder damaged the operations of DAWN, which is based in Washington.

The defendants were “aware of Khashoggi’s US ties and brutally killed Mr Khashoggi to silence him and prevent him from continuing in the US his advocacy for democracy in the Arab world”, the suit said.

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

French users sue Muslim prayer app over alleged US army links

This follows a report last week about how the US army bought up users' geolocation data from a string of apps around the world.

Israeli PM held secret talks in Saudi with US state secretary, crown prince: reports

Multiple Israeli officials were quoted as saying that Mohammed bin Salman and the head of the Mossad spy agency met Pompeo and Mohammed bin Salman in the city of Neom.

Ex-minister pardoned for 1982 murder dies

Mokhtar Hashim was convicted of murdering the then-Negeri Sembilan speaker but released from prison following a royal pardon.

US suing Google in biggest antitrust case in decades

It could force changes in business practices or break off segments of the Google empire.

Man accused of killing his baby carried into court after refusing to cooperate

Police say it's possible that he was involved in deviant teachings, and that he was said to have heard voices.