Wednesday, May 18, 2022

MySejahtera check-ins may be scrapped, says Khairy

He says this will depend on the Covid-19 infection trend as well as mobility data once the borders reopen on April 1.

Other News

The requirement for using the MySejahtera application as an SOP for check-ins may be scrapped, Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin says.

He said a decision on whether to continue with this or not will be made based on the Covid-19 infection trend as well as the mobility data of residents and travellers when the country’s borders reopen on April 1.

“A decision on this matter will take almost a month because we need to look at this trend.

“If there are not many changes to the infection trend, we may drop the check-in function,” he told reporters after officiating the closing ceremony of an event in Putrajaya yesterday.

Khairy said this when asked to comment on a statement by the Malaysian Medical Association that it was time to scrap the practice of having to scan the MySejahtera application for check-ins as the country transitions into the endemic phase from April 1.

The government dropped the SOP for temperature checks and the manual recording of personal particulars for entry into premises on Feb 11.

On the issue of the MySejahtera application ownership, Khairy said the health ministry expects to finalise negotiations with the company that operates the application software platform in about a month’s time.

“The negotiation process is ongoing. But it is taking some time because it is quite technical,” he said, adding that he would provide an explanation on the matter at the Dewan Negara.

The negotiations are being held after the health ministry set up a price negotiation committee last year aimed as negotiating the procurement price and management of MySejahtera application services with the company for a period of two years, in line with the government’s procurement procedures, he said.

He said the finance ministry had agreed to the procurement on Feb 28 and the negotiation process had started to ensure due diligence is carried out, as well as to protect the government’s interests.

Khairy earlier stressed that the government had never sold the MySejahtera application to any private company, adding that it is owned by the government.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles