Former prime minister Najib Razak is seeking for the Federal Court to first hear his appeal to adduce new evidence in his RM42 million SRC International case.
Najib’s lead counsel Muhammad Shafee Abdullah who confirmed the matter said this was because the outcome of the fresh evidence may have a critical bearing on Najib’s main appeal to quash his conviction and 12-year jail sentence and RM210 million fine.
Deputy public prosecutor Mohd Ashrof Andrin Kamarul also confirmed the matter while adding that the Federal Court has set Jan 24 for further case management of the main appeal.
He said Federal Court registrar Siti Hajar Mustaffa fixed the date during online proceedings today.
On Dec 7 last year, the Court of Appeal dismissed Najib’s application to adduce fresh evidence in his appeal against the RM42 million SRC International case.
The next day, the same court upheld the conviction and 12-year jail term and RM210 million fine on Najib for misappropriating RM42 million in SRC International funds.
Justice Abdul Karim Abdul Jalil, who led a three-member bench comprising justices Has Zanah Mehat and Vazeer Alam Mydin Meera, dismissed Najib’s appeal against the Kuala Lumpur High Court’s decision on July 28, 2020.
Najib, 69, filed a notice of appeal to the Federal Court that same day.