Saturday, May 21, 2022

More flood evacuees in Johor, Pahang

Numbers declined in Negeri Sembilan, Melaka and Sabah, while the situation in Selangor and Terengganu remained unchanged.

Other News

The number of flood evacuees at relief centres rose in Johor and Pahang last night compared to earlier in the evening although it declined in Negeri Sembilan, Melaka and Sabah, while numbers in Selangor and Terengganu remained the same.

In Johor, state health and environment committee chairman R Vidyananthan said there were 5,923 evacuees from 1,585 families at 81 relief centres in seven districts, compared to 5,888 people earlier.

“Segamat still holds the highest number of evacuees with 4,311 people, followed by Tangkak (601), Mersing (540), Kota Tinggi (131), Kluang (120), Muar (118) and Batu Pahat (102).

“Currently only Batu Pahat is experiencing rain, while it is cloudy in Segamat, Kluang, Kota Tinggi and Mersing. There is fair weather in Tangkak and Muar,” he said in a statement last night.

In Pahang, the number of evacuees rose slightly to 2,308 people compared to 2,265 people earlier in the evening with 37 centres operating in the districts of Raub, Jerantut, Temerloh, Bera, Maran, Kuantan, Pekan and Rompin.

The publicinfobanjir.water.gov.my website meanwhile reported that the water levels of Sungai Pahang in Kuala Sungai Chini, Pekan and Sungai Serting in Padang Gudang, Bera were still above danger levels but had shown downward trends.

In Negeri Sembilan, the number of evacuees dropped to 1,628 people from 448 families at 15 centres last night compared to 1,666 people (462 families) at 16 centres earlier.

The number of evacuees also dropped in Melaka, with 1,771 people from 472 families at 8pm compared to 2,155 people from 565 families at 4pm. The floods caused evacuations in 14 areas in Alor Gajah, nine areas in Melaka Tengah, and 11 areas in Jasin.

A total of 318 people from 92 families were being housed at six relief centres in Alor Gajah, 1,154 people from 300 families were at nine centres in Melaka Tengah, while 299 people from 80 families were at three centres in Jasin.

The situation was the same in Sabah, with evacuees dropping to 3,365 people from 1,331 families last night compared to 3,377 people from 1,330 families earlier, according to the Sabah state disaster management secretariat.

The secretariat said a centre at Dewan Kampung Kiabau in Telupid was closed while 30 more remained open in six flood-affected districts.

Kota Marudu district still had the highest number of evacuees with 2,659 people from 1,115 families at 14 centres, followed by Pitas (307 people, 127 families, four centres), Telupid (216 people, 49 families, seven centres), Sandakan (46 people, seven families, one centre) Beluran (38 people, 10 families, one centre) and Paitan sub-district (99 people, 23 families and three centres).

Three landslides occurred in the Ranau district, affecting Jalan Bongkud, Jalan Stadium Ranau and Jalan Timbau-Melinsau. Another three incidents were detected in Kinabatangan, in Ladang SLDB Sukau, Kampung Sagaliud Seberang and Kampung Wariasan.

In Selangor, the number of evacuees remained unchanged at 40 people in Kuala Langat district, being housed at Dewan Orang Ramai Kampung Kelanang (25 people) and Balai Raya Majlis Pengurusan Komuniti Kampung Banting (15 people).

The publicinfobanjir.water.gov.my website showed that water levels at Sungai Bernam in Rimba KDR, Sabak Bernam remained above the danger level while Sungai Langat in Bukit Changgang, Kuala Langat, which was at warning level earlier in the evening had dropped to alert level as of 8pm.

In Terengganu, the number of evacuees remained at 19 people from five families at two centres in Kemaman.

Nine people from three families were being housed at the centre in SK Lembah Jabor while 10 people from two families were housed at the centre in SMK Geliga.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles