Saturday, May 21, 2022

Flood evacuee numbers continue to rise in Kelantan, Terengganu

However the number had dropped in Pahang as of last night while remaining unchanged in Selangor.

Other News

Kelantan and Terengganu continued to record an increase in evacuees while the number dropped in Pahang last night.

In Kelantan, the number of evacuees increased to 1,186 people from 350 families as of 9pm compared to 856 people from 245 families earlier yesterday evening.

According to the Social Welfare Department (JKM) Disaster Info application, 14 relief centres were operating in two districts: nine in Jeli and five in Kuala Krai.

The Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID) portal reported that Sungai Golok in Kampung Jenob, Tanah Merah is at danger level with a reading of 23.74m.

The Public Works Department (JKR) disaster management portal meanwhile said the route along Jalan Jeli-Dabong at Kampung Reka, Jeli had been closed to all vehicles after becoming inundated.

In Terengganu, the number of evacuees increased to 137 people from 42 families last night compared to 69 people from 22 families in the evening.

A second relief centre was opened in Dungun at the Kampung Shukur multipurpose hall.

Terengganu state disaster management secretariat chief Rosman Abdullah said Dungun was the only district to be hit by floods yesterday but that monitoring was also focused on the Besut, Hulu Terengganu and Kemaman districts.

“The number of evacuees is expected to rise tonight as most major rivers are still showing an upward trend,” he said.

The DID portal said that three rivers in the state had passed the danger level last night – Sungai Besut at Jambatan Keruak, Besut (35.03m), Sungai Dungun in Kampung Pasir Raja, Dungun (38.63m) and Sungai Telemong in Kuala Ping, Hulu Terengganu (19.89 m).

However, in Pahang, the JKM Disaster Info application reported that the number of evacuees had dropped to 3,390 people at 33 relief centres in Bentong, Temerloh, Kuantan, Maran and Pekan districts.

The DID portal also reported that Sungai Kuantan in Bukit Kenau was at warning level while Sungai Dong (Raub), Sungai Triang in Chemomoi (Bentong), Sungai Kundang (Maran) and Sungai Lembing (Kuantan) were at alert levels.

The DID said floods were likely to occur in stages in several other districts in the state – Kuantan, Rompin, Pekan, Bera, Maran, Jerantut, Temerloh, Lipis, Raub and Bentong – following the severe weather warning with continuous heavy rains issued by the Meteorological Department earlier in the evening.

In Selangor, the JKM Disaster Info application said the number of evacuees remained at 466 from 132 families, with 20 people at Sekolah Rendah Agama Dusun Nanding, 77 at SMK Abdul Jalil in Hulu Langat, 201 at the Kuala Selangor Indoor Stadium and 168 at SMK Kuala Selangor.

The Selangor state health department said on Facebook that three rural clinics – KD Kampung Nenas in Klang, KD Dusun Tua and KD Batu 18 in Hulu Langat – had been temporarily closed due to the floods.

In Negeri Sembilan, there was no change with 29 evacuees still being sheltered at the Kampung Puom community hall in Jelebu as of 9pm.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles