Saturday, January 29, 2022

Flood evacuee numbers begin to decrease

However, some 28,000 people remain at relief centres in Kelantan, Selangor, Pahang, Melaka and Negeri Sembilan.

Other News

A total of 28,005 flood evacuees from 8,598 families were still seeking shelter at relief centres (PPS) in five states this morning.

According to the Social Welfare Department’s (JKM) Info Bencana portal, the evacuees were at 183 PPS in Kelantan, Selangor, Pahang, Melaka and Negeri Sembilan.

In Selangor, the total number of victims decreased to 11,864 at 61 PPS this morning compared with 15,354 at 81 PPS last night.

Selangor fire and rescue department director Norazam Khamis advised the public not to burn their flood waste.

He said yesterday, the department received a call at 5.50pm to put out a fire fuelled by flood waste including damaged furniture, adding tat so far two such cases have been recorded in Kapar, Klang.

In Pahang, 16,579 victims were still taking shelter at 119 PPS as of this morning.

The districts still affected by the floods are Bentong, Temerloh, Bera, Maran, Kuantan and Pekan.

The publicinfobanjir.water.gov.my website reported that Sungai Pahang in Lubuk Paku, Maran and Sungai Bera in Bera have dropped to the warning level and are showing a downward trend.

The Meteorological Department has predicted rain in several places in Kuantan and Pekan, while the weather in other districts is expected to be favourable this morning.

In Kelantan, the number of evacuees dropped to 378 victims from 127 families as of 7am compared to 470 people from 153 families last night.

The Drainage and Irrigation Department’s official Info Banjir portal reported that no major rivers in Kelantan are at the danger level, with only Sungai Golok in Rantau Panjang, Pasir Mas, at the warning level.

In Melaka, the number of flood victims remained at 26 people from eight families as of 8am.

Melaka Civil Defence Force (APM) director Cuthbert John Martin Quadra said only one PPS is still operating at SK Penghulu Benteng in Jasin.

In Negeri Sembilan, state APM director Mohd Syukri Madnor said the number of victims had dropped slightly to 128 people from 37 families, compared to 132 people from 38 last night. They are being housed at three PPS in Jelebu.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles