Saturday, January 29, 2022

Floods force more evacuations in Kelantan

However the numbers are dropping in other states.

Other News

The number of flood victims at relief centres (PPS) in Kelantan increased while dropping in four other states including Selangor last night.

The number of evacuees in Kuala Lumpur and Negeri Sembilan meanwhile remained unchanged from yesterday afternoon.

In Kelantan, as of 10pm, the number of flood victims had risen to 1,666 from 1,496 people, involving 10 PPS in the Pasir Mas district.

The Drainage and Irrigation Department’s official Info Banjir portal reported that no major rivers in Kelantan were at the danger level, with only three rivers at the warning level, namely Sungai Kelantan in Kampung Temangan, Machang; Sungai Kelantan in Rantau Panjang, Pasir Mas; and Sungai Golok in Rantau Panjang, Pasir Mas.

In Pahang, the number of evacuees dropped slightly to 34,487 victims at 246 PPS compared to 34,971 people at 249 PPS in the afternoon, according to the Social Welfare Department’s (JKM) Info Bencana application.

The number of districts in the state affected by floods also remained at nine: Kuantan, Temerloh, Bentong, Bera, Jerantut, Pekan, Lipis, Maran and Raub.

Meanwhile, the East Coast Highway operator in a Facebook post said the Chenor to Karak route remained closed on both sides while the route from Gombak to Karak on the Kuala Lumpur-Karak Highway had been opened.

In Melaka, state Civil Defence Force (APM) director Cuthbert John Martin said the number of flood victims dropped to 114 as of 8pm.

“In Jasin district, the number of victims remains at 68 from 14 families, housed at the SK Parit Penghulu Benteng PPS,” he said in a statement, adding that 46 victims from 15 families are still at the SMK Lubok China PPS in Alor Gajah.

In Perak, the flood in Changkat Jong, Teluk Intan was receding, with 153 victims at two PPS in Hilir Perak as of 8pm, compared to 182 evacuees in the afternoon.

A spokesman of the Perak APM and state disaster management committee secretariat said 105 victims were taking shelter at the Dewan Bandaran Teluk Intan PPS and 48 others at the Dewan SM Abdul Rahman Talib PPS.

In Selangor, the state disaster management unit said the number of evacuees as of 9pm had dropped to 18,126 people at 103 PPS, from 22,250 victims at 111 PPS in the afternoon.

Sungai Langat in Bukit Changgang, Kuala Langat was above the danger level with a reading of 4.31m at 9.15pm.

In Negeri Sembilan, state APM director Mohd Syukri Madnor said the number of evacuees remained at 301 people at four PPS in Jelebu.

He said the cumulative figure for flood victims in the state increased slightly to 773 from 768 in the afternoon.

In Kuala Lumpur, the JKM Info Bencana application said the number of victims remained at 314 people at two PPS last night.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles