The trial of Ahmad Zahid Hamidi who is facing 40 corruption charges in connection with the foreign visa system (VLN) scheduled for today and tomorrow has been vacated as the former deputy prime minister is unwell.
Deputy public prosecutor Raja Rozela Raja Toran told reporters that High Court judge Mohd Yazid Mustafa made the decision in chambers today following a request by the defence.
She said the trial is set to resume on Feb 3, 2022.
Other dates set for the trial are March 7 and 8, April 10 to 13, May 17 to 20, May 30 and 31, and June 13 to 16.
The court also set July 25 to 29 for oral and written submissions, and Aug 24 for a decision.
So far, five prosecution witnesses have testified, while former home ministry secretary-general Alwi Ibrahim, 62, is still under cross-examination.
Zahid is charged with 33 counts of receiving bribes amounting to S$13.56 million from Ultra Kirana Sdn Bhd as an inducement for himself in his capacity as a civil servant, then as home minister, to extend the contract of the company as the operator of a one-stop service centre (OSC) in China and the VLN system, as well as to maintain the contract to supply the VLN integrated system paraphernalia to the same company by the home ministry.
On seven other charges, Zahid is charged, in his capacity as home minister then, with accepting S$1,150,000, RM3,000,000, 15,000 euros and US$15,000 without consideration from the same company which he knew had a connection with his official function.