Thursday, January 20, 2022

Selangor flood deaths increase to 17

Over 30,600 flood victims have been evacuated to relief centres in the state.

Other News

The number of deaths due to the floods in Selangor has increased to 17, including a volunteer, says Menteri Besar Amirudin Shari.

He said at of 8am today, 10 bodies were found in Klang, three in Hulu Langat and four in Sepang.

“The state government conveys its condolences to the families of the victims concerned for having lost their loved ones,” he said at a media conference today.

He said the cause of death of the victims had yet to be ascertained.

The state government, he said, would contribute RM10,000 to each family who lost loved ones in the floods and RM1,000 to each family affected by the floods.

He said as of 8am today, a total of 30,632 victims from 4,672 families had been evacuated to 203 relief centres (PPS) in Selangor.

“The number of victims is expected to increase because in some districts, the flood water is still rising, like in Kuala Langat, Kuala Selangor, and Sepang, and also those in places the rescue teams have managed to reach like Taman Sri Muda, Kampung Baru Hicom and Bukit Changgang,” he added.

He said those who refused to evacuate had been informed of the risks.

“For them (those who refuse to evacuate), we have provided them with food baskets,” he added.

Meanwhile, he said Tabung Ikhtiar Selangor Bangkit would be established as a platform for Malaysians, especially private companies, individuals and government-linked companies to contribute to the restoration of areas affected by the floods.

“As an initial commitment, I will contribute one month of my salary to this fund,” he said.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles