Thursday, January 20, 2022

14 flood deaths nationwide

Meanwhile break-ins have been reported at convenience stores in Taman Sri Muda, Shah Alam.

Other News

Eight bodies have been found in Selangor while in Pahang, the number of casualties so far is six with another four still missing in the Bentong floods.

This brings the tally of people who died in the floods which struck eight states to 14.

Another 66,939 victims had to be relocated to 466 flood relief centres (PPS) in Selangor, Pahang, Terengganu, Kelantan, Negeri Sembilan, Melaka, Perak and Kuala Lumpur.

Three more bodies were found in Taman Sri Muda, Shah Alam, the worst affected area in Selangor, and four more victims of the mudflow in Telemong, Bentong, Pahang.

Selangor police chief Arjunaidi Mohamed said besides the four deaths in Shah Alam, two more deaths were recorded in Kajang and one each in Sungai Buloh and Sepang.

The body of a man in his 30s, believed to be the first drowning victim, was found at the main entrance to the Alam Idaman Apartment in Section 22 in Shah Alam at 7.50pm on Sunday.

Police also confirmed the discovery of three more drowning victims in Taman Sri Muda, Shah Alam.

Shah Alam police chief Baharudin Mat Taib said all victims were male. Two of them were found at 1am while another body was found at 5am by the public and the Fire and Rescue Department as they were doing rescue work. The bodies were taken to Hospital Shah Alam for further action.

Meanwhile, Selangor Fire and Rescue Department director Norazam Khamis said two male victims were found in Dengkil and the body of a man was found in Sepang on Monday while the body of another man was found in Desa Coalfields, Kuala Selangor.

Several break-ins at convenience stores were also reported in the Taman Sri Muda area.

The break-ins were reported to have occurred at around 1pm to 2pm, Baarudin confirmed to Bernama.

In Pahang, factory operator M Gunalan, 38, was the first casualty after his body was found at 2.22pm on Friday, about 100m away from the location at which he was reported to have fallen while trying to ride his motorcycle in the flood near a Chinese cemetery in Gambang.

The second victim recorded in the state was a man who was reported missing at 1am on Sunday. He had become stranded after trying to drive his Proton Exora car in the flood waters near Kampung Cempaka with a friend.

Meanwhile, the bodies of three women and one man in Telemong, believed to be from a group of five individuals, were found by a search and rescue team yesterday.

The operations started at 9am in the area where they were reported missing.

The body of the male victim was found at 1pm yesterday while the bodies of the three women were found at 1.20pm and 4.23pm about 2km to 5km from where they were swept away by flood waters near a river in the village.

In Perak, although the weather is forecast to be good in most places, the authorities will continue to monitor the situation in high-risk areas to prevent any untoward incidents from occurring.

In Terengganu, the water levels of main rivers are back to normal except at the Sungai Kemaman reading station at the Paya Pama pump house which recorded a level of 4.45m, over the danger level of 4m.

In Kuala Lumpur, a total of 371 flood victims are still at three PPS although the good weather saw 10 roads reopened.

In Kelantan, the four major rivers are still at danger level. Sungai Lebir in Tualang, Kuala Krai recorded a reading of 36.67m followed by Sungai Kelantan in Tangga Krai (25.10m), Sungai Kelantan at the Guillemard bridge (16.29m) and Sungai Golok in Rantau Panjang, Pasir Mas (10.19m).

In Negeri Sembilan, Malaysian Civil Defence Force director Mohd Syukri Madnor said the number of flood victims still being housed at PPS had gone down following good weather conditions.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles