Saturday, January 29, 2022

Over 61,000 flood victims evacuated in Selangor, Pahang

Perak and Negeri Sembilan have also seen an increase in number of evacuees although the situation in Kelantan, Terengganu and Melaka is improving.

Other News

The number of flood victims in Selangor and Pahang is still on the rise despite the lull in rain, with more than 61,000 evacuated to relief centres (PPS).

Perak and Negeri Sembilan also recorded an increase in the number of evacuees although the figures did not hit the 1,000 mark.

The situation in Kelantan, Terengganu and Melaka meanwhile is improving with a drop in the number of flood victims recorded.

In Selangor, a total of 32,044 evacuees had been placed in 162 PPS in nine districts as of 10am.

Selangor Menteri Besar Amirudin Shari said in a Twitter post that the Klang district recorded the highest number of evacuees with 18,858 people.

In Pahang, the Social Welfare Department’s (JKM) InfoBencana application said 29,181 people from 7,738 families were currently seeking shelter at 242 PPS, with the affected districts comprising Bentong, Raub, Lipis, Jerantut, Temerloh, Bera, Maran, Kuantan and Pekan.

Lebuh Raya Pantai Timur said on Facebook that food was being delivered to victims stranded in areas along the East Coast Expressway while the stretch at KM76-KM126 Karak-Temerloh was still closed on both sides.

The number of flood victims in Perak increased to 254 people as of 1.30pm, compared to 242 people this morning, all of whom are being housed at three PPS, according to a spokesman for the state civil defence force (APM) and the state disaster management secretariat.

A Bernama check in Teluk Intan found that the flood waters in several affected villages had not receded and residents were seen returning to their homes to take their personal documents to be brought to the PPS.

In Negeri Sembilan, state APM director Mohd Syukri Madnor said the number flood victims, including in Seremban and Port Dickson, had risen to 605 individuals from 145 families with 10 PPS opened as of noon.

Meanwhile, Kelantan saw a drop in the number of evacuees, to 3,659 people from 1,079 families from 3,801 people involving 1,098 families this morning.

Kelantan state APM disaster management and operation secretariat Zainuddin Hussin said 40 PPS have been opened in Kuala Krai (24), Pasir Mas (8), Gua Musang (5), Tanah Merah (2) and Jeli (1).

The number of flood victims in Terengganu dropped to 158 people from 38 families this afternoon compared to 288 people from 68 families in the morning.

The state disaster management committee secretariat, in a statement, said Kemaman was the only district currently hit by floods with six PPS operating after the two centres in Dungun were closed.

In Melaka, state APM director Cuthbert John Martin said the number of flood victims had dropped to 718 people from 158 families compared to 826 people from 183 families this morning.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles