Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin today said that the movement control order (MCO) will not end as scheduled on June 28.
He said the first phase of the National Recovery Plan would continue until the threshold value hits below 4,000 Covid-19 cases per day, adding that the MCO will remain in force until all three indicators for transition from Phase One are achieved.
Speaking to reporters after visiting the vaccination centre at the Sunway Pyramid Convention Centre, he also said the government would announce more comprehensive assistance for all segments of society early next week.
“Now they say the MCO is about to end. I want to say that from now on we don’t call it MCO, but we say we are in a particular phase and now we are in Phase One (of the National Recovery Plan) until July, maybe the middle of the month or so.
“It is wrong to say June 28 is the end of the MCO,” he added.
“I want to say we are still in the first phase of the National Recovery Plan, and this will continue until the threshold value of below 4,000 cases is reached, cases in the ICU have dropped from the critical level and vaccinations have increased.”
Health Minister Dr Adham Baba previously said the country could move into Phase Two of the National Recovery Plan if the daily average number of Covid-19 cases drops below 4,000 for seven consecutive days.
He said ICU bed utilisation should also be below 75% with 10% of the population vaccinated.
Muhyiddin today said the assistance to come would include aid for SMEs.
“We are aware that everyone is waiting to see how the government is going to help those affected during this phase (of the National Recovery Plan) and subsequent phases until the end of the year.
“Of course, there will be assistance for the B40, M40 and loan moratoriums for the T20 (eligible) group.
“We have taken into account the needs of all these groups more comprehensively than before. I will announce the details tomorrow or the day after, so that everyone knows where we stand.
“But what’s important is that support is given to all groups in society. There may be an increase in the form of assistance to be extended,” he said.
He also said the government was paying special attention to Selangor as it was still recording daily infections of over 2,000.
He said if an area in the state is placed under enhanced MCO, the lockdown order will be more strictly enforced.
“There are many cases in Selangor whether at work, in residential areas or communities. If you want to reduce the rate, attention should be paid to these areas (under EMCO).
“Maybe we will take another follow-up step so that overall case numbers across the country continue to go down, but what is important is the cooperation of all. The public needs to adhere to SOPs,” he said.