Seventy-two foreigners were arrested by the immigration department in an operation at the Selangor wholesale market early today.
The foreigners who were detained in the operation conducted between 1am and 4am comprised 39 UNHCR cardholders, 19 Bangladeshis, nine Myanmarese, three Indonesians, an Indian national and a Nepalese.
Deputy Home Minister Ismail Mohamed Said said the foreigners, between 20 and 50 years of age, were arrested on suspicion of not having valid travel documents.
He said the UNHCR cards possessed by the foreigners concerned were dubious.
“Further investigations have to be conducted to ascertain the validity of the cards, as well as whether they have the necessary documents and work permits.
“They will be taken to the Selangor Immigration Department for further action,” he told reporters after participating in the Ops Patuh operation to monitor compliance SOPs under the movement control order at the market today.
He said authorities would continue to conduct Ops Patuh to address non-compliance with the SOPs in an integrated manner by focusing on the misuse of approval letters issued by the relevant ministries, departments and agencies.
The operation also involved the participation of the domestic trade and consumer affairs ministry.
Its enforcement director, Azman Adam, said 42,552 premises nationwide had been inspected from June 1 until yesterday, during which compounds amounting to RM2.03 million were issued for various offences.