Thursday, December 9, 2021

No final decision yet on ending or extending emergency, say PH trio in advisory committee

They also say there is no need for an emergency as a stricter MCO would be the best approach.

Other News

The three opposition representatives in the Independent Special Committee to advise the Agong during the virus emergency today said that no decision has been finalised on extending or ending the emergency period, to be presented to the king ahead of the scheduled deadline of Aug 1.

In a statement, PKR’s Saifuddin Nasution, Amanah’s Dzulkefly Ahmad and DAP’s Loke Siew Fook said since being appointed to the committee earlier this year, they had conveyed their views on a range of subjects, from the vaccination efforts and daily death tolls to hospital facilities, the economy and the effect on the lives of the people.

“We also conveyed our stand that the approach of ‘government intervention’ in the form of the movement control order (MCO) and emergency are two different issues in addressing the Covid-19 pandemic,” they said.

“Our position is that there is no need for a state of emergency. Instead, a stricter MCO would be the best approach.”

They also reiterated their call for Parliament to be reconvened as a form of checks and balance in line with the principle of parliamentary democracy.

Parliament and state assembly sittings have been suspended since the declaration of emergency early this year.

The Independent Special Committee, chaired by former chief justice Arifin Zakaria, was formed under the Emergency (Essential Powers) Ordinance 2021 which came into force in January.

The committee comprises MPs from the government and opposition as well as health experts and those from related fields.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles