Kedah Menteri Besar Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor says he is prepared to face the possibility of legal action if found guilty in connection to the test driving of a car at a vehicle sales and exhibition centre at Autocity Juru, Penang, on Saturday.
Sanusi said it was not up to social media users or his haters or supporters to decide if he was right or wrong in this matter, only the established law enforcement system in the country.
“I’m not saying I’m not wrong, but if there was a breach of SOP, it’s a serious case and I apologise because it happened by chance,” he said at a press conference today.
He was asked to comment on footage that had gone viral allegedly showing himself and several other individuals test driving a car at a vehicle sales and exhibition centre during the lockdown period.
Sanusi said he had been on his way to Kuala Lumpur to attend a meeting, accompanied by an escort officer and driver.
He said when he arrived at the area, he decided to stop to buy some food at a convenience store as he was worried that he would not be able to stop to eat anywhere else on his way to the capital.
“After stopping at the store, I asked my driver to buy some bread and mineral water and I realised there were a lot of cars there, so I got down (from my vehicle) to take a look, and greeted a salesman who was there.
“The car sales gallery was closed, but there was a salesman so I asked him about the cars there, and didn’t realise the incident was being recorded by an individual and later made viral,” he said.
Sanusi said he was willing to help pay the compounds for his driver, escort officer and the salesman if they were found guilty and compounded as he felt the incident had happened because he greeted the salesman.
On the Toyota Vellfire belonging to Syarikat Air Darul Aman which he used to travel to Kuala Lumpur, Sanusi said he was eligible to use it as chairman of the company.
Meanwhile, Seberang Perai Tengah police chief ACP Shafee Abd Samad said police had recorded the statement of the menteri besar and four other individuals to assist with the investigation.
“So far a total of five people have recorded evidence including the menteri besar, and the police are still in the process of completing the investigation.
“Once the investigation paper is ready, we will immediately refer it to the deputy public prosecutor’s office for further action,” he said when contacted by Bernama today.